Thursday, October 9, 2014

Voting, Horses, Ebola

We are expecting rain today and tomorrow, so it will be up to the weather gods as to how much money I make today.  Of the three dogs I walk, none of them like to walk in the rain, and all of the owners have stated that if it's raining, walking is not necessary - just let the dogs use their doggie doors to the yard....  Having been registered as a voter here in Boulder for 9 and 3/4 years, I have actually received a Jury Summons.  While living in Gainesville, I served as jury foreman in a civil case, and then as the secretary of the Alachua County Grand Jury for six months.  I was still serving on the County Grand Jury when I received a summons for the State Grand Jury, so I was able to decline that last invitation.  So I'll appear at the Boulder County Court House on November 7....
   I watched from the rail as Cigar won the Breeders Cup Classic at Gulfstream Park under Jerry Bailey, as dusk fell.  The great race horse was retired to stud, but was found to be sterile, so he was retired with daily exercise at the farm.  For the past six months, he had had osteoarthritis in his neck, which resulted in pressure on his spinal cord.  Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital has been treating the champion throughout his ordeal.  It ended last night, when Cigar was euthanized after complications developed following a surgical procedure to relieve the pressure on his spinal cord.  He was 24 years old.
   Unfortunately, the poor man from Liberia has died from ebola in Dallas, Texas.  Folks in the Dallas area are panicking, and stores are reporting sales of emergency medical supplies and kits are having a sharp increase since the news of the man's hospitalization was made known.  And now five international airports in the US are implementing a new health screening check for passengers arriving from West Africa.
   I have lived in the City of Boulder for the past 8-plus years.  I received our county mail-out about the four state amendments that we are to vote upon, on 4 November, as well as the voting on retention of County judges.  I thought that was all that was going to be on the ballot, along with our elected state officers - Governor, Senators, Congressmen, and other state officials.  Not so.  There are two County amendments, and three City amendments - which I found out about from my sister.  I had to look these measures up, on my computer, to see the terms of these items we'll be voting on.  Several are small tax increases lasting for two to five years, to help pay for all of the needed county and city repairs, following last years flood - and for continued assistance to those who lost everything due to the flood.
   The things that have put my back up are the requests that the City Council be allowed to run "private executive" meetings regarding the set-up of the municipalization of the power plant, and that they be allowed to set up their own company to provide direct internet service to anyone within the city limits.  I had voted against the muni power plant, but the measure was passed, and the City is proceeding to make a hostile take over of the local Excel Energy offices.  Being inside the City, I must use City power, so I'm cringing about what the new rates will be.  If we allow the City to set up their own internet supply company, I'm afraid that we will also be mandated to use the City's provided service, rather than being able to "shop around" for the best-suiting service.....    Grrrrrr.
 

No comments: