Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Weekend Report

For some reason, the folks who decide such things, decided I'd make a good Grand Juror for Boulder County.  I found out on Friday that I, and 15 others, will be serving on the Grand Jury for a year.  Oh, boy.  We'll meet (mostly) on Thursday evenings, and I've already notified them of my Pony Penning trip next summer - they know I'll be absent if they schedule any meetings then.
   Kathy, my sister, had a double mastectomy Friday. She was scheduled to begin the surgery at 8:30 in the morning, but all that happened at that time was her injection with radioactive dye - she wasn't taken into the Operating Room until 11:30.  I arrived at the hospital a few minutes before 1 pm, having taken the direct bus from the Courthouse to the hospital.  I didn't see anyone (Jim or his sister Kathy) in the waiting area, so I ran into the cafeteria and grabbed a quick sandwich, and carried it back to the waiting area.  We met up and at 1:50, I went to the restroom, while Kathy and Jim grabbed to-go stuff from the cafeteria.  We kept on waiting for the Doctor to come tell us about the surgery.  He never did.  He had Jim's cell phone number, but didn't call Jim, either.  It is guessed that he came looking for Jim when Jim and Kathy were in the cafeteria, and I was in the restroom.
   In any event, one of the sentinel lymph nodes was compromised, and showed signs of cancer, so they removed more nodes from her right armpit than originally planned.  Kathy had a good night, and was sent home this afternoon, 24 hours after her surgery.  She has always been a fast healer - today, her chest did not hurt, but she said it felt like she a a bad case of razor burn under her arms (where the lymph nodes were removed) and her foremost complaint was a sore throat from the anesthesia.  My sister is one tough lady!
   I have to admit, at this time, that I am getting worried about Nedi.  For the third time this week, I found him asleep in the bathtub, with a live mouse crawling on him.  Does my cat want (or need) a pet, himself?  I can't figure out any other reason he keeps catching mice, turning them loose in the bathtub, and then getting in the tub and going to sleep.  Is he trying to show the mice he won't hurt them?  I just don't know.
   Today we're expecting a high in the mid-70s.  BUT.  The weather folks say the Arctic Express will be bringing extremely cold temperatures and snow starting tomorrow.  After today's warmth and sun, tomorrow's high of 51 will seem awful - and with steadily dropping temperatures and snow in the afternoon, with highs in the 20s for the rest of the week (and lows in the single digits), most people here are not amused.  Of course, there are the snow bunnies and all the ski and winter resorts are very happy!!    I'll be thinking, grumpily, of my friends in Florida...                                                                           

No comments: