Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Moose, Cold & Cats In Snow

The temperature in Boulder fell 50 degrees less than 8 hours yesterday.  It was quite a shock to my body, even though I knew it was on the way.  The initial snow began with a few flakes falling about 11 in the morning - small, light, scattered flakes that danced wherever the wind took them.  About noon, the first real fall, with accumulation started - and it snowed for about five hours before stopping for the night.  It began snowing again about 7:30 this morning, and is still coming down nicely.
  Early yesterday morning, a young cow moose decided the Boulder Creek Path would make an excellent stroll, but when local traffic began to buzz by, she was downtown, at Scott Carpenter Park, 2 blocks from my apartment.  She didn't try to cross any streets, but she was clearly upset by the traffic and all of the people walking, jogging, running, riding their bicycles, and walking their dogs near her on the Path.  The Department of Wildlife folks came and tranquilized her, blindfolded her, started her on oxygen in case of shock, then moved her onto a tarp and then a truck.  She was watched for a good recovery and turned loose up in the National Forest.
  When I returned home from my time with Kathy and Jim yesterday, I opened my back door; and the kits did what I expected.  Lovey went out for about ten minutes, then came inside, complaining at the top of her lungs.  She hopped up on my desk, and shook like a dog, scattering snow and mud all over my monitor and keyboard.  Then she washed my face.  Nedi, on the other hand, stayed out for about 45 minutes, and returned looking like a snowman - but with a black face.  He was very disgusted with me when I got a towel out of the cupboard and began rubbing him down...  I think he would have preferred to leave a large wet spot on the (only/my) bed.  I'll try to get photos of them outside today.
   Kathy and Jim are doing well.  Kathy is calling the double mastectomy her "Peter Pan surgery," and is racking up a few laughs with that label.  We have dinners set up for them through Sunday night, so I'll begin working on next week's round-up/coordination tomorrow.  One night next week they'll have salad, garlic bread, and home-made meatballs in home-made marinara sauce over spaghetti from me and the kits.  Daughter Sarah is cooking for them Thursday; son Mike and his wife Erin on Sunday.  Friends and neighbors are bringing supper other days.

No comments: