Friday, December 26, 2014

Boxing Day

My cats always love the day after Christmas - traditionally called Boxing Day in Great Britain and Canada - because they have a multitude of boxes to play in, attack each other from, and, in Nedi's case, chew and rip apart.  I have leftovers from yesterday's big meal, but am running around to three different houses, taking care of critters, today.  I've already fed and walked the Chandler dogs, and fed the cats and chickens on Dellwood.  After noon, I'll add Tugger to the mix until New Year's Eve.
   The Dellwood clients hope to get back to Denver from Guatemala this afternoon, as scheduled.  But it's doubtful they'll make to Boulder from Denver tonight, as their car is parked in a garage in a downtown alley that doesn't get plowed.  The hope to be home by mid-morning tomorrow.  At least Jim is recovering from his ruptured appendix, but Jan fell and sprained both her hand and foot yesterday, so neither of them will be very spry upon their return.
  I spent the majority of yesterday at Kathy and Jim's house.  We had our "traditional Swedish" Christmas breakfast, and giggled, yet again, about Pop-pop choosing an easy breakfast for Christmas morning, following Mom-mom's passing - sausage links, scrambled eggs and pumpkin pie.  Then I did the dishes and we sat around and chatted until their son Mike and his wife Erin arrived.  Then we got into two technical discussions - what Kathy was supposed to do last night and this morning before starting her chemo-therapy, and how best to cut off her glorious hair..  We got everything straightened out, and written down,and I put dinner in the oven.  Then Jim rebraided Kathy's hair and cut off the braid.  Withe her new, short bob, Kathy really looks like Mom again...  Then we ate, and after doing the dishes again, Kathy and I looked at photos of eight generations of our family - it was amazing, and fun.
  It started snowing a little after noon yesterday, and, as it had been warm, the snow melted almost as quickly as it hit.  It still snowing, at this moment.  Boulder officially had 9.7 inches fall up until 7 a.m. this morning.  The weather folks say we'll have another inch or so fall today and this evening; then it will stop until Monday.  Supposedly we'll highs in the low and mid-30s Saturday and Sunday, but a high of 11 on Monday and a high of 6 degrees on Tuesday.  Looks like I'll be staying bundled up for the next week or so. I add another house of critters to my care list on Saturday, SUnday and Monday... Before New Year's Eve, I'll be taking care of 6 houses full of cats, bees, dogs, fish, and (outside in their coops) chickens each day.  I'll be extremely happy when January 4 arrives, and I'm back to just my regular dog-walking for a week!
  I hope that you had a good time with friends and family yesterday, today, and through the weekend.  Peace and joy are my wishes for you for the rest of this year.

No comments: