Sunday, December 14, 2014

Friday and Saturday

I awoke this morning thinking I'd see either a wet patio, or a powder of snow.  Nope.  Dry outside, though cloudy to the west.  I just posted on Facebook, asking, "Where's all the snow?" and, as soon I I clicked on the post button, a few snow flakes floated down.  The computer forecast models say that Boulder will have between 2 and 10 inches of snow today.  With high temperatures in the 50s yesterday, and in the 60s for the two prior days, I have the feeling that most of the snow will be melting when it hits the ground.  I got extra fatty nuts for the squirrels and a bunch of raw sunflower seeds for the birds - but, at the moment, there's no reason to put it out.   I enjoyed yesterday's Army- Navy football game, and was greatly cheered when Navy won.  I'll be cheering for the Broncos today.
   I did something no house-sitter should do Friday afternoon.  I lost my keys.  I keep several keys on my ring (on attached rings, actually) that I use frequently, or ones that belong to clients who call me on the spur of the moment and ask to to walk, or look in on, their pets.  Besides my key and my sister's, I usually have six other house keys with me.  Friday afternoon, I was going to meet Beatrice for an early supper; as I didn't have lunch, eating supper at 4:30 or 5 seemed fine.  I left my apartment at 3:55, having changed into clean, fresh clothes.  I don't carry a purse, so I packed everything into my pants pockets, as I usually do.  I walked up to the corner, saw the bus I wanted to catch pass me, and then crossed the street to catch my "back up" bus.  I showed my bus pass, entered, and sat down on the bus.  When we arrived at my stop, I thanked the driver, jumped down, and patted my pockets - a habit to be certain that I have everything.  There were no keys.  I pulled everything out of each pocket - no keys.  I started pushing my fingers around inside my key pocket, and found a hole that I could insert three fingers through.  I went on down to the Cheesecake Factory and Bea and I had a very satisfying meal.  Then we retraced my steps - no keys.  I called the bus company and spoke with dispatch and with the driver of the bus I had ridden.  No keys.  I called the other bus company.  No keys.  Saturday morning, I retraced my steps twice, then had three friends join me in searching for my keys.  Not found.  I called both bus companies again, and called the police, plus checking in with 15 shops and businesses that line my walking route.  No keys.  I placed an ad offering a reward on Craig's List, and I posted Lost Keys notices on the three bulletin boards in my apartment complex.  Then I e-mailed and called all of the people whose keys I had lost.  Luckily, none of the keys had anything identifying them  attached.  I just knew whose key was where on my rings, so there were no names or house numbers to be seen.  I've heard back from everyone except one family, and they all say that I'm not to worry about the lost keys.
   Luckily, Beatrice had a spare key of mine, so I could get back into my apartment (without having to call the manager and pay a $20 lock-out fee).  The biggest problem that I see is that my mail key was also lost - and I 'll need to find out if  I can get a replacement key from the apartment manager, or if I need to go through the Post Office...  But, all in all, that's not a terrible thing.  -  Still, no keys.

No comments: