Friday, December 12, 2014

Miscellany

Boulder has enjoyed bright blue skies and loads of sunshine for the past few days - highs in the upper 50s and low 60s.  (Our normal high is about 42 degrees, this time of year.)  The huge storm coming ashore at California, the Pineapple Express, will change things, though.  A slightly lower high on Saturday will be followed by snow after midnight on Sunday (or so the weather folks say).  The forecast models are all over the place at the moment - four different models predict anywhere from 2 to 10 inches of snow falling on Sunday.  -  I think I'll cook a pot of homemade marinara sauce and meatballs Saturday afternoon.  Later on, as it continues to snow, I'll make ham and bean soup and cheddar-potato soup...  But we're supposed to warm back up on Tuesday.  The soup will wait until it's actually winter.
   The kits have decided that my letting them out for 90 minutes in the morning, afternoon, and evening is a good deal.  They are both back inside and curled up in the sunshine shining through the window.  I think that Lovey is staying alert for the hawk - the sheer size of it seemed to thrill her, and she stayed revved up for over an hour after it flew away on Tuesday.  She really believes that she is a lioness and not a ten-pound tabby.
   Rosie's back is still inflamed and sore, so we are taking very slow, decorous walks around the neighborhood, and spending a lot of time lying in the sun in the Snow back yard.  I was surprised to see that Jim has replaced the fencing that was buried by the silt in the Great Flood over a year ago.  I haven't yet had a chance to ask if it was done to keep Tulo, a Sammie  who visited for 5 days,in the yard; if it was done to confine Woodsley and Mona, the grand-dogs; or if, after taking care of Tulo, Jim has decided to get another Samoyed...  We'll see.
   Thanks to my cousins, I now have photos of 8 generations of the Nocks family.  That seems so incredible when I write it, or say it...  It's just amazing to me that I can look at a photo of my great-great-great grandparents sitting with some of their children and the childrens spouses.  I guess it's so impressive to me because we have so few identified photos from my Mom's side of the family.  I have a ton of unidentified photos from Sweden and New York City, but I have no idea who they are, or how (or if) we're related...
   I hope that all of you have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments: