Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Dog Problem

It's snowing again.  We here in Boulder are at our usual average amount of snowfall for this time of year, but the ski resorts on the western slope would love to have more snow.  Normally, by this time of year, they have had 20 to 30 feet of snow; this year, most resorts have only had 9 to 12 feet.  This storm is supposed to dump a great deal of snow  down around Wolf Creek, but very little, if any, around Vail, Breckenridge, or Steamboat Springs.  Our snow began a little after 7 this morning, and is expected to last until 6 tonight - we could receive as little as 1 inch, or as much as 6 inches...  It just depends on how fast this system moves, and whether or not it decides to intensify.
  My kits are happy to have me at home for a full day, and, I, too, am happy to be here.  The children ran outside for about 30 minutes as the snow began to fall this morning, and I put out nuts for the squirrels and shelled sunflower seeds for the birds.  Nedi is curled up on the foot of my bed, and Lovey is in my reading chair at the moment.  Tugger seemed to do very well with my 14 to 15 hours per day of company, as well as medications.  Rosie was very happy to see her family when they returned Saturday, as were Tessa, Lyra and Lily on Agate.  I've spent the last three nights at home, and am looking forward to 24 hours here, without the necessity of leaving.
  Things have rolled into a sticky wicket in Githens Acres, where I do most of my dog-walking and house sitting.  Just before Lynn Thore left on her vacation, she informed me to keep an eye out for a dog that was staying at a neighbor's home; that the dog had attacked another neighbor's dog while it was on a leash.  Later that afternoon, I received a couple of short messages from the neighbor, Sarah, asking me to find the dog a new home - immediately, if possible.  I called her back and told her that I didn't know of anyone interested in getting a dog at that time. She was very insistent, and I was just as resistant.  She told me the dog would be gone by the weekend, so I dismissed it from my mind.
  Yesterday, I received a message from the neighbor whose dog had been attacked on Monday, 5 January  -  he had sent his message to everyone on the Githens Acres Wildlife Watch list, with the topic being (in all capitals) "Warning: Vicious Dog Attacks In Neighborhood!"  This started up a large number of back-and-forth messages.  I wrote to all, except the neighbor Sarah, about her attempt to get me to find the dog a new home; also that she kept switching her story around - first it was "my dog," then "my friend's dog"; then it was a "new home," and a "temporary home."  The statement that Sarah made that blew me away was that "people always insist on walking their dogs down my driveway, and then they're upset when it upsets" my dog.  The driveway that Sarah refers to is an easement created by both the city and the county 30 years ago.  The driveway easement is also a main pathway taken to Centennial Middle School by students and parents; it opens onto CMS's athletic, track and baseball fields.
  Now the other neighbors are complaining to me about the way Sarah rents out her house to boarders, rents out her garage as an apartment, and rents the yard and house for social events...  Right now, I'd like to send a note to everyone saying, "I am not a lawyer.  I am not an advocate.  I don't want to get caught up in the politics of this thing."   -   I do have to admit that a single neighbor has written to me, and to me only, that she is disturbed by the sudden "meanness" exhibited by the other neighbors about an incident that happened two weeks ago.  This neighbor also says that Sarah has spent a lot of time and money trying to re-unite the dog with its' owners (who are apparently living in Mexico) and that she thinks that Sarah is taking the dogs, via air plane, to the owners at the end of this week.  Sarah has already had to pay a $300 fine for having a vicious dog on the premises, and has paid the vet bill for the dog that was attacked....
   I feel for the dog itself, I feel for Sarah (however she is mixed up in this), and I feel for her friend who is trying to defend her.  But, I also want the Githens Acres neighborhood to be safe - a safe place for people to walk their dogs, a safe place for young children to be, and a safe place for our local wildlife.  A dog that breaks free from it's run, a dog that breaks away from it's walker/handler, and a dog that attacks any other dog that it doesn't know, should be considered dangerous, in my opinion.

No comments: