Sunday, January 11, 2015

Friday's Adventure

We received more than an inch of snow Friday morning before dawn, and the temperatures never rose above freezing.  I wouldn't have minded any of that, except that I traveled down to the Denver Airport with a family in their car.  I was assured they would leave in plenty of time to make their check-in and boarding.  I was told they'd pick me up at 7:30, and once they had debarked at the airport, I could drive peacefully back to Boulder.  They arrived in my parking lot at 8:15, and the roads were covered with slush, which was coating the windows and windshield, as well as the rear window.  The morning soon turned into an adventure - first, while the owner was driving, and we were only 10 miles out from Boulder (it's 75 miles from the house to DIA), we ran out of windshield washer fluid.  It was decided, since they were running so late, that we'd just dash water (from the personal water bottles everyone was carrying) onto the windshield and use the wipers to clear a vision spot.   Let me tell you that I found the experience frightening - firstly, the driver decided to try this operation at 85 mph on the toll road, and, secondly, we couldn't see anything behind us because the rear window was completely coated with mud, salt, and slush.  The first try blew the water onto the roof, missing the windshield entirely, due to our velocity.  So we began stopping in the emergency lane every  5 or 6 minutes to splash water on the windshield - but (I was praying at every stop) we couldn't see if anything was behind us when we started to stop, or how close the vehicle was, because of the totally occluded rear window.  So the driver started chiding the son for returning the vehicle without it being filled with gas and washer fluid.  The son reminded the driver that the daughter had taken this particular vehicle out, not he....  It was an interesting drive....  We somehow managed to cover the 75 miles in 55 minutes.
   Then I got to drive back to the closest service station and convenience store to purchase washer fluid and fill the reservoir that is used for both front and rear windows.  The vehicle took in 1.5 gallons of washer fluid.  I then washed all the windows with the provided window washer and scraper.  On the way home, I decided that I did not want to be driving in that bumper-to-bumper Interstate traffic all the way from DIA back to Boulder.  (Dumb idea.)  I took Tower Road to 96th Avenue - and then waited for 90 minutes with a train blocking the road.  I finally pulled out of line, and decided I'd see the "back side" of Commerce City.  I had no map, so I was just zig-zagging west and north, in hopes of finding a road that I knew.  I found three dead-ends, but finally saw a sign that pointed to one of the main roads (there are only three) back to Boulder.  It was quite an educational drive, and I actually rather enjoyed the adventure...
  Yesterday and today are gray and yucky.  Originally, the weather folks said we'd be cloudy, but there would be no precipitation during the Broncos game.   Now it looks like we'll have rain, possibly sleet, and possibly snow during the second half.  At least I'll be snug inside and watch the televised game from the recliner!  -  And I had really wanted the Ravens to beat the Patriots yesterday, but it just didn't happen.  So sorry, Baltimore!

No comments: