Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year, World!

Happy New Year, everyone!  I hope that your year will be filled with love, laughter, good luck, friends, family, and good cheer.
  I spent last night with Rosie, the Irish Setter.  When the New Year arrived, we were both asleep.  Beatrice, my friend, who lives upstairs in the apartment building, called me last night, asking if we had electricity where Rosie lives. I said yes.  Beatrice told me that Boulder had been experiencing power outages during the afternoon and evening - the power went off at the largest Safeway store in mid-afternoon, and they had to close.  The shoppers then went across the street to Bea's store, the Neighborhood Market, and there was a shopping frenzy there until they lost power.  Bea 's store also closed, so she took the bus home; only to find that our building had no power, nor did the Millennium Hotel, or the shopping center next door.  Apparently the electricity went off at 4 p.m., and Beatrice told me this morning that it wasn't restored until almost 2 a.m. this morning.  I know that my apartment is chilly at 55 degrees - and the thermostat is set at 68.
  But the sun is shining brightly, and we should reach about 20 degrees today.  Marty Coniglio, the weatherman, says that Boulder might get hit with 2.5 inches of snow tonight.  We'll see.  Rosie's family returns home tonight, and Lynn Thore returns tomorrow afternoon - I'll sleep at her house tonight, with Tessa.  The Sumac family will return Saturday afternoon, and then I'll have all of Sunday to be a slug-abed with my kits at home.  It will be heaven, whether we have heat or not.  (No electricity in this apartment means that absolutely nothing works, except the toilet.  - That's why I have candles, flashlights, a lantern, and an oil lamp at hand.  The kids and I can cuddle in bed, under the quilts, and read together, if there's no power.)
  Here are some local snowy critters:






No comments: