Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Warmth, For Two Days

Well, the Chinook winds did their wizardry Monday and yesterday - melted a lot of the snow that was still on the ground (I can actually see grass and dirt in some places), but the sudden warming, from -5 degrees to 58 degrees, caused havoc with the pavement.  Craters opened up on US 36, the main road between Boulder and Denver, and more than 30 vehicles suffered flat tires because of the potholes on Monday night alone.  One of the holes in a tire sidewall was as large as a softball.  Then it froze overnight, and by 2 a.m. the city of Boulder was on "Accident Alert" status because of the ice that formed from the melted snow.  Accident Alert status means that if you have an accident, but no one is hurt enough for medical attention, the drivers just swap information and call their insurance company.  If there is an injury, then the police get called in.  I know that the roads and portions of the sidewalk were extremely slippery with ice this morning, as I almost pitch-poled several times on the way to, and back from, the grocery store.
  The temperature did reach 58 degrees on Monday, and I was in jeans and a T-shirt at home yesterday; but today is another matter.  Hopefully, we'll reach 25 degrees; then 50 Thursday, 30 Friday, and in the 40s for the weekend.  Which means pretty decent weather for the Denver Broncos football game Sunday afternoon.  It's snowing and 15 degrees outside at the moment...
  I did try something stupid last night - the small grey marmalade kitten that lives in B-115 was outside, on the patio, and crying his heart out at 11 p.m. last night.  I tried to bring him in, out of the cold.  Nedi was neutral about it; Lovey was outraged.  I had to stick the poor little guy back outside - but I made sure there a was box with an old blanket in it at the inner corner of the patio.  I think he slept here overnight.  I have to go leave a note on the owners' door, asking about their care for the little man.  I'll find him a good home, if they won't care for him!

No comments: