Monday, February 16, 2015

More And More Snow

Our snow began to fall yesterday morning around 10:45.  We've been so warm that it didn't even start to accumulate on the grass and roadways until after 4 in the afternoon.  It's still snowing.  There were five inches of snow on the ground when I got up at 6 this morning, and the white stuff is still falling steadily.  Our weather folks say that Boulder will receive another 3 to 8 inches of new snow today.  That's fine with me!  I've gone to the store, fed the squirrels, fed the birds, cleaned the litter boxes and have taken the trash and recycling out.  I'll be checking up on male family names in both the Snow and Nocks families, to give a list to Mike and Erin.  I had understood that they were going to name their son after their Uncle Kent, who passed away in September.  That is not the case, now - I have the feeling that Vanessa, Kent's widow, wants to name her first grandson after her husband...
   Nedi ran out into the snow and bounded around for a while this morning.  Lovey stepped onto the patio, sniffed the sir and walked back inside.  The veterinarians keep telling me that I overfeed my cats.  Nedi has a small frame and only weighs 6 pounds; Lovey had a medium to large frame and weighs 11 pounds.  Each and every day, they have three bowls of dry food to choose from, a small bowl of treats, and a can of meat and gravy; there are two full water bowls, and one that flows constantly.  Last night I kept hearing odd noises from the kitchen cabinet, so I peeked around the room divider to check it out.  Nedi was inside the cabinet.  He very carefully patted a full box of elbow macaroni out of the cabinet and onto the floor.  He then proceeded to chew the corner of the box open, spitting tiny pieces of cardboard out, as he removed them.  Once he had a hole large enough for his paw to fit inside, he reached in and scooped out five pieces of macaroni.  He then ate those five pieces, pulled out another five, ate three of them and just wandered away.  Now I know that I do not have a mouse in the pantry; it's my little black cat.  I'm just puzzled as to why he wanted to eat wheat pasta pieces....
   I've seen one intrepid squirrel out this morning - he kept disappearing into the snow as he leapt his way from the fence to the patio.  I placed walnuts and pecans out for the furry kids this morning.  I have only seen a huge flock of starlings out and about in the feathered friends area...  and I placed sunflower seeds out for the birdies this morning.  Both cats are intently watching the squirrel and birds eat.

No comments: