Thursday, February 26, 2015

Snooooowwwww!

Twelve inches of snow yesterday and another seven to ten inches expected by midnight.  Gee, it's starting to look like winter in Colorado!  Rosie and I had a great time yesterday morning, while the sun was out and there were only a few clouds in the sky.  She caught the scent of the neighborhood coyote and had a good run along the back fence line,  then made doggie snow angels for awhile, and finally settled down to hunting squirrels.  She really enjoys the cold weather and snow, but with her arthritis, I sometimes have to cut her chases rather short.  It started to snow in North Boulder just around noon.  By the time I walked from the ABCs over to Bop and Tiko's house, there was five inches of new snow on the ground, and it was coming down so fast that I had to stop twice to clear my glasses, so I could see my way...  I might have to invest in ski goggles - they don't scratch as much as my glasses do.
   I've already been back to Bop and Tiko's house this morning, walking through snow up to my knees in some places.  I asked Lee's assistant to feed the cats their dry food tonight, as I have to report for the Grand Jury again tonight, and I want to be on time.  I've also e-mailed Jill, and let her know of that switch in plans.  Jill is supposed to fly in from Boston tonight, but with the cold and snow both here and there, I don't know if she'll make it back to Denver tonight.  I'll have no problem feeding Bop and Tiko again tomorrow morning, and/or through the weekend.  I'll be walking Tess twice a day for those three days, and those two schedules would mesh nicely.
  After writing about insanity pleas for both the American Sniper killer and the Aurora theater shooter yesterday, I found and read an article in the Christian Science Monitor regarding America, American citizens, and the use of the insanity plea. The article did nothing to change my feelings in any way - it said that Americans always want a quick outcome, and, generally, dismiss an insanity plea.  I don't agree with that.  I've had my own mental problems - at the worst of that period, I was convinced that everyone was in collusion to cause my failure, I had hallucinations, and breaks with reality.  But I always knew right from wrong.  I was always mentally aware of my surroundings and how other people might interact with me, if I told them what I was feeling and seeing.  I just withdrew more into myself, and avoided people as much as possible.
    In a way, I still do that, as I interact with animals more than I do with humans - but I've also had more than 20 years of psychiatric care and therapy - and I take my three "happy pills" every morning.  If I don't take my medications, then, in two days, or so, I become Sad Sack and extremely paranoid.  I'm nearly 60 years old, and I'm finally understanding what makes me tick...  It's kind of frightening.     I think, that with my experience, I can listen to psychiatric and medical testimony, and understand, from my own personal mental break, what is happening to someone, and whether or not they have truly lost their grasp of reality.  I'm lucky that I never did.  I'm lucky that I got help.  I'm lucky that medication can help keep me stable....   But I am still convinced that both of the men I wrote about yesterday were not, and are not, insane, and that they did not shoot their victims in a moment of insanity.  I believe the man convicted in Texas lost his temper and shot in rage.  I believe the man in Aurora was just plain evil and wanted notoriety.   Now I've said my piece....     Period.

No comments: