Monday, April 6, 2015

Eye-Popping

I was born in the era of Poodle skirts and sock hops - at the beginning of the rock 'n' roll years.  I've seen clothing fads come and go, hair styles go from "cool" to being a laughing stock, music change radically, manners and politeness have been forgotten, and most youngsters today seem to raise themselves.  I grew up in the Deep South, where we were raised to be polite, to respect our elders, and not to curse, or use "dirty words," where they could be overheard.  Yes, I know - an old fogey is what I am.
  Yesterday I was shocked (and still am) by the appearance of a girl on an RTD bus.  It was a warm day - we reached 74 degrees (F)  and the time was 6:30 in the evening.  We expected a low of 38 degrees, and the breeze coming down from the mountains was a bit chill.  I freely admit that I am not good at guessing anyone's age anymore...  This youngster looked to be twelve or thirteen years old to me.  She stood about 4' 11" and looked to weigh about 80 to 85 pounds.  She was very thin, and had made up her eyes - facially, she looked like one of those old Parisian gamine oil paintings.  She had on a lavender knit cap, a lilac heather hoodie sweatshirt and scuffed suede high-top sneakers.  She had ear buds in, connected to the small electronic case, the size of a cell phone, she was carrying.  What made my jaw drop was the other two items of clothing - a pair of black satin shorts that were much smaller than hot pants, almost hipster pantie size, and that had little ruffles around the legs; and a black, smocked tube top, that also looked like black satin.
   I have to admit that all I could think of was, "Jail bait!"  If she had been a relative of mine, she'd have gotten a long and rather heated lecture, would have been grounded, and those black satin items would have been confiscated and sent to a thrift shop.....
   The times, they are a'changin'.......

No comments: