Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Great Book and Longmont

I finished reading Tracker late last night; it's the latest installment of C. J. Cherryh's atevi world Foreigner series.  I found the first book intriguing, but I found one of the main characters, Bren Cameron, to be an extremely anal-retentive and over-written character.  In the second book, I actually began to appreciate Ben's insights and started picking up on the nuances I had missed in the first book.  Tracker is the sixteenth book in the series, and I own a copy (or two) of all of them.  C. J. Cherryh has created a wonderfully nuanced alien world and culture with the atevi people, and, a few books ago, introduced another alien race, the kyo.  Then there are the humans that are tossed into the mix, with age-old politics, mistrusts, and prejudices.  It makes extremely satisfying reading - and, if, occasionally, there is some new "parallel" technology that is mentioned, that causes problems with all sections of the populace - well, that's even better.  I highly recommend the entire series to anyone who wants a good, lengthy escape from our reality!
  Beatrice and I looked at six different apartment complexes yesterday, in four different cities.  We drove to each complex, parked the car, and got out and wandered around, looking at the grounds, the apartments themselves, and speaking with any tenants we ran across.  We looked at one place here in Boulder, three in Longmont, one in Lafayette, and one in Louisville.  All have rents that we can afford, and all but one had two bathrooms - it had a shared shower and tub, with two separate toilet and sink spaces.  We liked the Victoria Inn Apartments best - but they are located in Longmont, which would mean an extra 45 minutes of RTD bus travel on the Bolt, from Longmont to Boulder.  The bus stops are across a street in either direction.  There is a large grocery store a block away; and, directly behind the apartments is a veterinarian's office, several restaurants, a small convenience store, and a place called "Daylight Doughnuts" that opens at five every morning and serves fresh pastries and coffee.  The grounds have lots of grass, large trees and shrubs, a lot of birds and squirrels, and friendly tenants.  It was very nice.
   My biggest question at the moment is when does my apartment manager want me moved out.  I left them a typed notice, saying I was preparing to move, but that I needed a definite move out date.  I asked whether they wanted me out on the 18th of June, 30 days after they notified me of the non-renewal of my lease; or if I could pay (and stay) through the last day of June.  I am still waiting for a written answer from them.  So - things are up in the sir for me and my cats.  We know we have to move, but not when.  We don't yet know where we'll move.  I dislike the feeling of "hanging in the air" but that's how I feel at the moment.  -  Oh, well... I'll know soon enough.

No comments: