Saturday, October 17, 2015

Moving On.....

It's a big football weekend here in Boulder - the Homecoming game for the CU Buffs.   They had their parade last night; and the game is at 7 this evening against Arizona.  My best wishes go to them for a win.   The Florida Gators will be playing at LSU, and they hope to remain undefeated.  Good luck to the orange and blue!
   I was shocked to learn earlier this week that Steve Spurrier, "the Ol' Ball Coach," was resigning his position as head coach with the South Carolina Gamecocks.  As he has since said, he resigned, he didn't retire - but, still, without his presence, I haven't been able to drum up the same thrill about collegiate games that I used to enjoy.  Steve Spurrier was/is a person that has a polarizing effect upon people - you either love him, or you hate him, or you're totally indifferent.  I've loved Steve since he was a junior at the University of Florida.  I met and talked with him many times as a child, and throughout our lives since.  I've always been shocked that he's been able to remember me - but he remembers me via our link, my Dad.  He always recognizes me as "Charlie's daughter."   Coach Spurrier always had such a zest for the game of football, and he loved making his stinging comments about rivals.  I'll always remember his crack (while coaching the Gators) that FSU stood for "Free Shoes University" when an alumni at FSU was in trouble for giving large numbers of free Nikes to football and basketball players.
  Tomorrow the Broncos play the Browns - and I think that the Bronco defense will again supply the win for the offense.  Something isn't clicking in the offense - don't know if it's the new head coach, Peyton Manning, the offensive line, or what - but they are not the team that I cheered for s few years ago.
   (And I try to get my fill of Tim Tebow by watching the Friday evening and Saturday morning analysis shows on the SEC Network.  Tim does his homework and knows what he's talking about...)
   Finally:  Dreamer's Faith.  Closure.  Roe Terry and the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company admit they made a terrible mistake in not searching the corral and fence line at the Carnival Grounds after the filly was noticed missing.  They thought she had been stolen, and did not search the property thoroughly.  They state they have learned from a very painful mistake and will not jump to conclusions in the future.  The CVFC will make recompense to the Beer family for the loss of their filly, Dreamer's Faith.  New procedures are now in place regarding the ponies being kept on the Carnival Grounds - newer, safer procedures.   Period.
   The Fall Round-Up of the Chincoteague ponies takes place today and tomorrow.  There are at least three new foals born since Pony Penning that I know of...  Looking forward to seeing new photos from friends.

No comments: