Friday, October 23, 2015

Oh, Yeah..... I Live in Boulder

I guess that since I'm nearing 60 years of age, I can blame things on my memory now...   That, and the fact that I've only lived in Boulder for 11 years,now, and before it was mostly Florida and Virginia.
   Yesterday afternoon, Beatrice and I decided to take a little drive.  It was a second day of dreary grey and a continual light rain.  We did our grocery shopping, but still wanted to "get out."  So I decided we'd drive up Fourmile Canyon to Salida, and on to Gold Hill, then take one of the county roads to the Peak to Peak Highway to Nederland, and back down Boulder Canyon.  It was 48 degrees (F) and dripping rain, as I said before, here in Boulder.  Boulder is a little bit higher than Denver, "the Mile High City" - but I didn't even give it a thought.
    We had a wonderfully delightful drive, driving along narrow,winding paved roads in Fourmile Canyon and from the Peak to Peak back home.  The rest of the drive was also delightful, spooky, and eerie.  It was foggy in Fourmile Canyon; and they are still recovering from the Great Flood two years ago, so some houses were still damaged and the road wasn't really good.  Then we headed up to Salina, where they had a huge fire four years ago, followed by the Great Flood two years ago.  I realized I hadn't driven up that way in about five years...
    We drove past side barriers and bits of broken pavement until we hit the unpaved roads.  About mid-way through the hamlet of Salina, the local Climb bus passed us, headed down the canyon.  There was snow packed around the bottom of the front windshield.  Then we started passing snow on the ground beside the road.  We were in an all-wheel-drive vehicle, so I didn't worry.  There were times when we could barely see 40 feet in front of the car, due to the fog; then it would suddenly lift, and we were looking down on top of fog covered valleys.  Visibility was poor when we reached Gold Hill, and the temperature had dropped to 36 degrees - but, then, of course, we were well above 8,000 feet.  (Duuuuhhhhhh!)   We ran in and out of snow flurries as we drove along 20 miles of muddy clay roads, looking at the architecture of the homes, the various types of gates and fences, and a very few head of livestock.
   Reaching the Peak to Peak, Beatrice chose to head back to Nederland, instead of north to Ward, so we drove along a road we know very well in summer sunshine. Yesterday, though, there were patches of thick fog followed by clear areas.  It started raining again when we reached Nederland, and we drove back down Boulder Canyon, looking at the levels of Boulder Creek, and commenting on hikers and bikers we passed.  I twas a great afternoon, but I need to keep in mind that I do live at the foot of the Rockies....
   Tomorrow we plan to drive along the Highway of the Fourteeners - a 19-mile stretch of road that passes by ten mountains that reach over 14,000 feet.  (And I do have a map this time!)

No comments: