Friday, November 6, 2015

One Year's Service Over

Last year, on the day my sister was having a double mastectomy, I had to answer the summons for jury duty.  It was the first time I'd been called for jury duty since I moved to Colorado in November 2004.  I had not realized that my summons was not for a criminal or civil trial - it was for the Grand Jury for the county, which meant service for 52 weeks.  That service ended last night, having begun on 7 November 2014.  I must say that it was extremely enlightening, and we (members of the jury) were paid $50 for each sitting after the third one.   Sometimes we met for one hour, sometimes for up to five hours - and dinner was provided for each meeting, although we were all a little tired of Abo's Pizza after several weeks.
   I had not realized that in Boulder County, the District Attorney and his his assistants sort and choose through those people empaneled for the Grand Jury, and, by some unknown and arcane formulae, choose whom they prefer as the Foreperson and the secondary foreperson themselves.  I got the short stick, so to speak, and was named the Foreperson.  I had to swear in everyone who testified in front of Grand Jury, including attorneys, police officers, federal agents, and normal people who were caught up in certain activities. I was also in charge of getting agreements and disagreements mended within the jury itself, took votes, tabulated the returns, and was the person to tell the DA's what the Grand Jury's decision was.  I also had to sign all the paperwork for supboenas and indictments.  Wow.   As I said, it was enlightening.
   We learned all sorts of things about federal and state laws, about drug abuse, opiate addiction, heroin usage, street drugs and their current prices.  We learned about the homeless and laws that do, and don't, protect them.  We learned a lot about vehicular accidents and how much time and money is spent performing investigations.  I missed one meeting only, because I had made vacation plans a year in advance.  But I certainly received an education from the police officers, investigators, undercover agents, and our District Attorneys.    I came away from this experience having more empathy for the officers involved, and a much greater understanding of our legal system.
   Being on a jury, judging evidence and testimony of others, and making what can be a life-changing decision regarding someone's future is a very powerful experience.  You can't be mean and spiteful - believe me, it shows.  I just don't understand why so many people wish that they didn't have to participate in jury duty.  I believe it's my right and duty to do so.  Why do so many people have such an aversion to serving justice?  I enjoyed myself.

No comments: