Saturday, December 26, 2015

Quiet Two Days

Four inches of fine powdery snow fell Christmas night - major streets in Boulder are clear, but our parking lot is an ice rink.  The dogs and hens on Emerald have been wonderfully cooperative, and Beatrice and I spent yesterday and today (until she went to work), watching The Croods, Centennial, and several Harry Potter movies on the television.  Lovey and Nedi have been very well behaved, except when I left to care for the Emerald critters this morning, when Nedi decided I had abandoned him, and sat outside Bea's door and howled until she got up and loved him.  (My cats - spoiled?  Never!)  Currently, Nedi is curled up asleep on my green sweater, and Lovey is curled up in the middle of the bed.
   Other than going over to Emerald yesterday, everyone stayed at home for Christmas.  I promised four visits each day, and I'm following that...  I'll be headed over there shortly, before I pick Bea up from work.  We were cloudy all yesterday, and had the snow begin to fall at 5 last night; had a few flurries this morning, but it cleared this afternoon, and we're expecting our low temperature to be -5 (F) by morning.  And I'll be out on the sidewalk in front of the apartment at 5:30 in the morning, as I have clients going to Denver International Airport then...  They'll pick me up, and I'll drive the car back to Boulder.  Then I'll be staying at their house, with two Brittany Spaniels until the following Sunday.  I must be out of my mind to agree to stand on the sidewalk at 5:30 in the morning, with the temperature at -5!
   Anyway, with Bea at work, I didn't cook tonight - I ate leftovers from yesterday.  Finished off the maple sausage we had for breakfast, then ate the glazed carrots and string beans with bacon....  We had a home made platter of cut apples and pears and baby carrots along with walnuts, cheese and crackers for lunch yesterday.  Baked a six-and-a-half pound roasting hen for supper, with the carrots, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, gingerbread and pumpkin pie.  This morning, we read the instructions on the new Belgium waffle maker, and we had home made waffles for breakfast...  One is supposed to throw away the first waffle made, as it might have too much oil in it.  The hens thought that waffle was delicious!
  So Beatrice is off work on Sunday and Monday, but I'll be running back and forth between the critters at Emerald until Tuesday night, as well as staying with the Spaniels for the next 8 days - and I'll start back with daily walks of Rosie and Tess again on Monday...  But that's OK - we both have plenty of books to read, and I'll be coming home twice a day to spend time with my kits...  And then Beatrice gets to start her usual work week again on Tuesday.  I very rarely sit still - and taking care of such a wide variety of houses and pets makes life interesting!

No comments: