Friday, January 15, 2016

A Fallen Woman, Again

I slipped and fell twice yesterday - walking along a sidewalk, and there was an angled bit for a driveway to a home.  There was a thick layer of smashed snow and ice on that part, thanks to a usual thaw during the day and freeze over at night weather...  I had walked over that section on the way to walk the dogs, and I didn't give it any special thought on the way back - even though I was treading carefully.  I somehow landed on my belly with the first fall - realized I was suddenly on the ground with my arms trying to encircle a small trash can that was frozen in the ice.  I took a few breaths, and slowly got into a four-point crouch, straightened up, and took a step onto what looked like slush with crushed ice underneath.   Appearances can be very deceiving on a bright sunny day with snow and ice all around you.   I fell sideways that time, landing on my left side with a good impact.  My left shoulder, breast, ribs, and my head took the most punishment.  I was out cold for a few seconds, I think.  I suddenly realized that I was lying on something hard and cold and that I couldn't see clearly, and I tried to think why I'd be in that condition.  Then I remembered falling, and realized my poor vision was due to a lose of my glasses.  I found my glasses about 2 feet from my head and put them on - discovering that the left arm had broken off.  I felt my face and found a few scratches, but because of the cold and ice, they hadn't bled.  I inventoried the rest of me, and decided everything was in working order, so I crawled to an area where the sidewalk was again level and stood up.  I was in a residential area, but no one was home - they were all at work.  So I brushed myself off, and went to the bus stop.
     Visited the Urgent Care Center and was told I had a concussion and a cracked rib.  Then toddled on down to the Vision Center, where I had bought the glasses, and was lucky to find a replacement arm in stock.  Got home, took a long hot shower, and took a 30 minute nap.  Then took another long hot shower.  Discovered my teeth had cut the inside of my cheek when I fell.   I didn't feel too badly last night when I went to bed - but boy howdy, was I stiff and sore this morning.  My left shoulder is nasty and I awoke with hiccups that hurt my ribs.   Otherwise, I'm A-OK.   Spent today puttering around the apartment - made pumpkin waffles for breakfast, had turkey breast and veggies for lunch, had pizza for supper.  Making homemade marinara sauce and meatballs tomorrow....  and, maybe, a chocolate cake with vanilla icing...   We'll see.  Cooking always makes me feel better.

1 comment:

SadFalada said...

Jeez Miz Bette! Always the stunt lady!