Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Lucifer and a Movie

We watched the new television show Lucifer last night.  The very short previews had looked quite fun.  The only problem was that the  powers that be used all the best clips in the preview.  Beatrice and I decided we'll give the show a viewing of two more episodes, but if it doesn't improve greatly, then we'll both stop watching it.  It's such a great premise, and quite a few good one-liners were tossed out in the first episode....  but the entirety seemed flat and stale.  Lucifer, the devil himself, decides to leave Hell and live in Los Angeles.  He brings along a female - is she an imp? - who works as the bartender at his night club.  He has mesmerizing eyes, and most people, male and female, will tell him exactly what he wants to know.  The females also get sexually excited by his presence.  Except a divorced, female Los Angeles police detective, who has her own baggage.  They rub each other the wrong way.  Another angel, who is African-American, appeared at the beginning and end of the episode stating that their Father wanted Lucifer to return to his appointed place.  With this premise, there are so many ways the series could go - I was hoping for something with lots of twists and turns in the plot, like Gotham or How to Get Away With Murder.  Doesn't seem as if it will happen, though....   Disappointed over all.
   However, I laughed and hooted and grabbed my cracked ribs in an out-pouring of mirth that came upon seeing the trailer for a new movie:  Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  I laughed until I cried, and almost lost control of my bladder - while at the same time, hugging my ribs and wishing I could stop laughing.   Thoughts of zombies have never bothered me, and I've always found zombie movies boring in the extreme.  To see that someone had taken Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and added armies of the un-dead seemed ludicrous.  To find that the book was published in 2009, made me shudder.  To realize this movie was actually going to be shown in cinemas around the world seems insane.  I laughed last night because of the sheer absurdity of zombie presences in such a staid and genteel novel.  I can understand the juxtaposition, and I can understand it with grim humor.  But I simply cannot find it frightening - or even entertaining....    I suppose the next big movie releases will be "Romeo and Juliet and Zombies," "The Zombies of the Ten Commandments,"  "The Four Zombies of the Apocalypse," and/or "The Force Versus the Zombies"....     Are all the new ideas used up?  Can no  one come up with an original book or screenplay?
    Can I resign from the human race?

No comments: