Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Silly Lottery Daydreams

I saw Sunday morning that no one had won the Power Ball lottery the night before, and that the estimated prize would be $400 million for tonight's drawing.  With the media attention, the prize has grown even more, so now the estimate is $450 million - and sales will continue until late this afternoon.  It's stupid, but I only purchase lottery chances when the prize amount is larger than $300 million - I also know that the higher the prize, the more tickets are sold, which decreases the chances of  my winning chances immensely.  But I know that I spend less than $25 per year on lottery tickets, so I look upon it as a small donation to education here in Colorado.... and not that I'm "throwing my money away" as some people claim.   I know that my chances of having a winning ticket are infinitesimal, but it's me betting on my own luck, so I really don't care.
  What would I do if I actually won the lottery?  I'd hire a tax and financial lawyer first.  Then I'd contact several financial consultants.  I would love to give large amounts of money to friends and family that they would not have to pay taxes on; I'd prepay it, if possible.  There would be grants and scholarships to put into place.  There are several donations that I would set up for annual dispersal.  I'd buy a house on Chincoteague.  I'd buy a car.  I'd get a new state-of-the-art PC system, and a new camera with a zoom lens.  I make sure that books were available to all kids who wanted them.
   Silly daydreams, I know...  However, a person without dreams is a person without hope.  I have hopes and dreams.  I am a survivor.  Baji-naji.

No comments: