Thursday, February 4, 2016

Cats and Dogs

Well, with the snow storm here, the flights for Seek's Mom to return were cancelled.  She was due back in the wee hours of Tuesday, and then Tuesday afternoon, and now, Friday - tomorrow.  I'm getting paid, but I feel sorry for Seek.  She is definitely a social cat, and having Jill stop by in the morning, and me for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and Claudia stopping by two or three times a week, just doesn't match up with "Mom time."  I know I miss Lovey and Nedi greatly, even though I'm spending a few hours with them two or three times each day.  Finn's family will return tomorrow morning, and tomorrow evening I'll move in with Maggie May.  Then - unless there are any emergencies - I'll be home with my kits beginning Monday; with nothing scheduled other than week-day dog walks until April.  But, somehow, I always manage to have several last-minute house-sitting dates pop up....
    Finn has been having a ball in the snow - being a 70 pound Golden-Doodle, he has no problem with snowdrifts up to 3 feet deep - while that comes to my waist.  My biggest problem with Finn is that his favorite toys are white, and when he takes them outside, they have a tendency to disappear in the snow.  Thankfully, Lamb Chop has red gloves on her front hooves and she's pretty easy to spot - finding the plain white octopus, on the other hand, is a nightmare.  Finn has faithfully helped me shovel out the gates and parts of the driveway, as well as the walk-thru gate from the street, his walkway to his doggie door, and the area behind the garage.  I need to remember to text a message to his family that the driveway will be like an ice rink when they return home in the morning...
   Seek is a copper-colored Spangled Bengal with golden eyes.  She is a huge love and just wants to be loved and petted and made much of.  I scratch her chin until she drools all over my hand, and then holds me gently, while she bathes it away....  Such a sweetie.
   Nedi decided to supervise me yesterday when I was sweeping the snow from the balcony.  As soon as I had cleared a space for me to stand on, he was between my feet, swatting at the broom bristles when he felt they came too near.  He was intrigued with the way the snow disappeared down the cracks at the edges of the balcony.  He went over and patted at the opening, but it wasn't quite large enough for his paw to fit through, so he sat and pondered, while I swept more away in front of him.  The look on his face was priceless!   Lovey sat in my reading chair and observed the clearing procedure with some disdain.  Once everything was clean, though, she and Nedi, both, had to examine and critique my work.
   Lovey and Nedi have made Beatrice into their newest hand-maiden.  All they have to do is sit and look at her, and she will get them treats, or open a can of "treat" food, or grab their string toy and play with them.  Nedi serenades her every morning to open her bedroom door, so that he can go sit in her bedroom window.  (My bedroom window is five feet away from hers, and is never closed, but he needs to be in Bea's window...)   My cats have both of us humans extremely well-trained for their wants and desires...
   Enjoy your day - or your night!

No comments: