Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Random Thoughts

Yesterday, Bea and I visited Estes Park, just to get out of Boulder…  It was grand, as usual.  There were a few idiots driving along 36 - I was driving (yes, I admit it) 7 miles over the speed limit on a two-lane black top that has a 50 to 90 foot drop down to a very rocky creek bed.  The other side of the road os blasted rock that is almost perpendicular.  Beatrice and I were amazed when four separate vehicles passed us as if we were standing still.  I have no idea where they were headed in such a hurry, but I was afraid we'd see an accident ahead of us, once they had passed.  We didn't, so I guess angels were looking out for those drivers (and us).
    We poked around and looked at houses, and drove down some roads we hadn't gone down before.  Besides mule deer outside of Rocky Mountain National Park, we saw elk in Estes Park and in Big Thompson Canyon.  On the way home we took another back road and drove past a herd of bison…  I enjoy getting out and seeing wildlife.
    This morning, at a traffic light, I had a green, and was driving at 45 mph.  Some ditzy blond in a Cadillac Escalade turned from the red light side directly in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and watched in disbelief as she made a huge U-turn, and headed in the opposite direction of my stopped progress.  My jaw was, literally, hanging open.  Maybe she didn't see me at all, but a 3/4 turn to go in a totally different direction?  I also felt a bit unsafe as I was driving the Prius this morning, as opposed to the Lexus SUV….
    We drove by Larimer County's Devil's Backbone Open Space yesterday, and I noted that the area is currently closed due to raptor nesting season.
    There are crocus blooming in the back yard this morning.  They are beautiful, but I also know full well that Boulder usually has it's last freeze on or about May 6 - and today is only March 9.  Our little ivy plant inside the apartment is growing very nicely - it's put on about 20 new leaves, and the stems have grown about three inches each.  Usually the only thing I can grow and keep alive is catnip.
    I sat down to do some intensive genealogy work Monday, and was surprised to learn that one of my favorite websites that I use for "quick and dirty" research was totally down and won't be back up until March 15 or so.  The site says that have "hardware" problems…..   Did one of their servers crash and burn?  It's just weird that when I finally get the urge to research, the site is down.  It's pretty frustrating, too.
    As much as I loved driving in the mountains yesterday, I kept talking to Beatrice about Chincoteague and Assateague.  Thank goodness I'm heading back for 11 days in July!  I have foals and fawns on my mind, as well as hatchlings and new growth….   Yes, I miss the islands.

No comments: