Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Preparations

A final, pretty day before actual fall weather arrives - we're expecting a high of 80 degrees today, and a high of 40 tomorrow.  Tomorrow night's low is forecast at 17....  Guess I need to get out the turtlenecks and sweaters, as well as the long pants.  I'm sitting here in jersey shorts and a cotton T-shirt and am sweating at 10 a.m.  Don't think it'll be like this tomorrow!  The weather folks say we'll have rain, changing to snow tomorrow afternoon and evening - and that we might have 1 to 2 inches of snow...  I'd rather have a nice, steady light to moderate rain for a couple of days.  We just need the precipitation - we're pretty dry and fires are a hazard, especially with the wayward winds we have here.
    I need to go out and purchase a pile of canned food for the kitties before Saturday; and I'll also pick up the makings for our Thanksgiving Day meal....   Think we'll have a small ham, gravy, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, peas, biscuits, and apple pie. We'll probably have a half-turkey for Christmas - or a large roasting chicken. With nasty, chilly weather coming tomorrow, I'm going to make my ham and five bean soup tomorrow.  I'll have to soak the beans tonight - Anasazi, pinto, black eyed peas, garbanzo, and great Northern.  They'll simmer all day tomorrow with a pound of diced ham, and then I'll make biscuits around supper time....
   And, since the weather is supposed to be dank tomorrow, I'll sew up the new Thanksgiving and Christmas table cloths.  I don't have a sewing machine, so I'll be hand sewing the hems.  Each tablecloth is double sided, with a different print on each side.  I've already purchased the cloth, washed, dried, and ironed it.  All I need to do is make two cuts, pin and sew.  Time consuming, but easy - if the cats don't decide to eat the thread as I'm sewing.
   I also watered our two surviving plants today.  I guess I'll be bringing both of them inside tonight.  Hopefully Nedi won't decide to devour all the leaves on the honeysuckle tonight...  He generally ignores the ivy.
   I hope that all is going well in your life, and in your world!

No comments: