Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Bits and Pieces

I had an appointment for 90 minutes in the dentist's chair yesterday, and ended up in there for 150 minutes instead.  I was not happy. The dentist office scares me witless anyway...  I had two cavities to be filled - the two upper rear molars.  During the procedure, which took 8 Lidocaine injections, a wedge that was placed between the two teeth shattered.  The dentist had to dig the pieces out, after trying to flush them out with air and water.  One piece ended up jammed against my jaw bone, and had to be surgically removed.  I have to go back again on 10 March for more work and X-Rays...
   I am very disappointed that Betsy DeVos was voted in as the Secretary of Education yesterday.  The vote in the Senate was tied at 50, so the Vice President got to cast his vote as the Senate President.  Of course, he voted for the nominee.  I still can't believe that the person in charge of education has never attended a public school, nor gone to a university or college, and that her children haven't either.  And the craziest thing was her support of teachers having guns in classrooms so they could protect the students from grizzly bear attacks...
   I just read several entertaining and revealing articles about how practicing psychologists view the newly-elected President.  The term malignant narcissist keeps floating around in my mind - along with the nine points of displaying such a mental illness.
   One of my clients passed away Monday.  He was a 19-year-old cat with thyroid problems.  Two years ago, he developed a small swelling, the size of a pea, on the point of his left hock.  It was, essentially a small hernia and a major vein dropped into it.  Over the past two years, the pea became the size of a large grapefruit, with a huge explosion of capillary growth.  This last four weeks, he began to have trouble with his balance, because the grape-fruit sized tumor wobbled back and forth as he walked.  Because of his age, and the huge amount of blood flow, an operation could not be done.  Monday morning, the tumor/hernia ruptured.  He suddenly began to cry.  Susan, his owner wrapped that leg up in towels and took him to the vet.  He was bleeding out, so he was put to sleep.  I'm gonna miss that guy sleeping on my head when I'm at his house...  There are still two dogs and another cat for me to care for, but Pounce was special.
   Then, on Monday night, Tessa, one of my (client) dogs, had a seizure.  Tessa is an 11-year-old mutt. and other than having stinky feet, and one bad reaction to a rabies shot, has no problems.  He owner called me in a panic - but, by that time, the seizure was over, and Tessa was, pretty much, back to normal.  We discussed the fact that most dogs with epilepsy usually have their first seizures when they are between 3 months and 5 years old.  But, Tessa was inside (and unrestrained) for a double-roll-over car accident.  She was stiff and sore for the next few days, but otherwise checked out OK at the veterinarian's office.  Tessa, was, however, thrown from the rear,open area of the rear of the vehicle into the backseat - against the ceiling and over the seat backs.  We wonder, now, if she had a nasty head bump that might have caused this seizure...

No comments: