Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Changed My Mind - Confederate Statues Should Be Removed!

Since this past Friday night, when the first assaults happened in Charlottesville, Virginia, I have had many discussions with a great many people of many different beliefs and ideologies from around the world.  And I have decided that my last blog was in error.
    I believe that statues dedicated to Confederate leaders, Generals and soldiers should be removed.  They stand for a lost cause of men who decided to support their states, and their way of life, rather than to support the Union of the United States of America.  These statues should either be donated to southern cemeteries, or they should be melted down and the metal used to help rebuild our country's infrastructure.
   I still believe that all Americans should be taught the reasons why the American Civil War was fought - which were mainly economics, but it was economics of the South, based upon slavery.  And slavery was, and is, intolerable - for anyone of any race, creed, or nationality.  
   Please forgive me for my stubbornness in not seeing the statuary of Confederate men as a form of praise for what they decided to stand for.  
   I was wrong.  

No comments: