Friday, March 16, 2018

Peevish Friday

Other than a quick run to McGuckin's Hardware yesterday morning, I stayed at home because Maintenance was scheduled to be here "sometime between 10 am and 4 pm" to switch out all the air filters, check the water heaters and to change the batteries (and test) the smoke, fire, and radon detectors.  They were on our landing at 11:30 - but they ran out of batteries and went back to the shop and had lunch before returning.  There were three men and it took all of 5 minutes, once they returned at 1:15.  I took a nap after they left, and woke up hot and irritable.  Clouds had started to build at 1, and I wanted a big thunderstorm.  We had some lightning around 7, and, at 8 a ten minute rainstorm with one thunder rumble.  Period.  We could have used an hour of heavy rain, or a night of light rain...  Oh, well....
   Got up this morning and decided to go to Target and get a St. Patrick's Day T-shirt and some food for the cats.  Got the cat food - but Target had no Irish T-shirts, and no green shirts at all - other than a very pale pastel green. I went through self-checkout, as there were lines at the cashiers.  I wanted to get away from a lot of contact.  I checked myself out, and placed my items in the bags I took with me.  I paid.  While I was reaching for my receipt, a woman was already reaching across my hand to use the touch screen.  While I was picking up my bags, she was trying to put her purchase into a store bag, knocking my hands away.   I really wanted to tell her to back off - but I just took my bags and escaped.
   Walking home, I have to cross several streets.  At one, an older man (white hair, bald on top, with glasses) was driving a Lincoln Towncar.  He stopped smack dab in the middle of the pedestrian cross-walk, wanting to turn across three lanes of traffic.  Being in an irritated mood, I walked into the side of his car three times - against the passenger window of the front seat - and finally, I knocked against his door with my bag full of cat food cans.  He almost crapped his pants, I scared him so much...  And then he started to yell at me.  I finally walked in front of his car, at the one time he had an opening in traffic.  I guess I was suffering from "pedestrian rage."
  Sitting at home, now, in front of my computer, with Lovey sprawled across my lap, my peevishness is passing....   **sigh**

No comments: