Saturday, May 19, 2018

Such Sickening News and Commentary...

Having just finished the previous blog, I find another headline stating that in Clayton County, Georgia, there has been another death from gunfire in a high school parking lot.  Apparently, there was a graduation ceremony held for the Perry Learning Center, an alternative high school, at the Mt. Zion High School Arts Center in Jonesville.  Over-flow parking for the commencement ceremony was across the street in the Mt. Zion High School parking lot.  An argument broke out after the ceremony, and a woman in her 40s was shot in the chest three times and died.  A man, aged 21, was shot in the leg.  A third person was injured after falling, having been pushed out of the way of the person with the gun.   Reports regarding the incident are still arriving at news desks.  No information on the shooter is yet available,

   It is very silly, but I am happy that where I live, the city of Boulder, in the county of Boulder, in the state of Colorado, had the guts to take a stand on Thursday night at the City Council Meeting.  A unanimous vote passed a new law that assault weapons, bump stocks and extra-large ammunition clips are no longer legal inside the city limits.  I do realize that people can bring them in, and don't have to admit to having those items in their possession, but it just makes me feel a little bit better about safety.  Of course, Friday morning a private citizen and a rifle club have both filed suit against the new city law.  We'll just have to see what happens.
   A lot of my cousins are gun enthusiasts, and I support all of them in their views, and ownership of their weapons.  The weapons are kept in gun safes; they are all trained and up-to-date on regulations and laws; most are from military backgrounds and have sharp-shooter training.  I am very proud of these relatives.  And I cheer them on at shooting competitions.  But then there are the other people who own guns - treating them carelessly, leaving them where others (including children) can reach them.  Those are the gun owners that I do not like.

  I almost had to close my mouth with my hand after listening to several different people speak about the safety of schools yesterday.  The Lieutenant Governor of Texas said that to protect schools, they needed to limit the number of doors into and out of the buildings.   My question:  What happens, then, if there is a fire, or explosion?  Leave the students and teachers trapped inside, with no easy way to get out?
  Another safety analyst was extremely insistent that each and every school needs to have a security check-point, just like the TSA at airports.  When questioned about the cost and time and space usage, he just kept saying that we don't see people shooting others at baggage claim areas.  Are we going to see that happen now?  People do NOT have to go through TSA to get to baggage claim, as far as I know.  - I mean, I can park in short-term parking at DIA, walk across the pick-up area for cars, and walk into the baggage claim area.....    So what the heck is the man talking about?

I just wish that there would be no more killing of innocent people.  Period.  Full stop.

No comments: