Monday, April 22, 2019

Latest Day Trip

I have lived in Boulder since November in 2004 - almost 15 years now.  I have lived in suburban and urban parts of the town - and believe me, I am a country girl at heart and in my soul.  Every once in a while, I need to hit the road and see areas of the state that I haven't seen before, as well as looking at familiar and well-loved landscapes.  Since I had access to a very nice car, I checked everything out (under the hood and tires, etc) and Friday my room-mate and I went on a ten hour drive.  That's not counting photography stops, bathroom breaks, and lunch.  We had drinks and snacks with us, too, so we didn't have to make hunger stops.
    The last time I was in Steamboat Springs was in 1972, so I  made that my objective, even though I knew we wouldn't have time to stop and explore the town.  So we drove a large loop, going up through Berthoud and Loveland to Fort Collins, where we headed west and then drove north along the east side of Horsetooth Reservoir.  Then to Laporte and Bellvue and over to one of my favorite places, Rist Canyon (which was hit heavily by the High Park Fire in 2012), and then Stove Prairie, up to the Cache la Poudre River and then west.... We ran into snow on the ground well before Cameron Pass, and I was out of the car in my shorts, T-shirt and sneakers up at Craig Camp Grounds at the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest stop.  Stopped in Walden for an ice cream sandwich and to stretch our legs, then on across pastures full of snow-melt near the road and snow-covered mountains beyond, to route 40 and Muddy Pass.  There we turned (kinda) north and went over Rabbit Ears Pass and into Steamboat Springs, where we had a late lunch.
  Leaving Steamboat Springs, we were on route 131 and I dearly wish there had been a lot more places where I could have stopped and taken photos.  A lot of views were breath-taking, but on a two-lane road with less than 12 inches of shoulder, I simply couldn't stop and take the photos I wanted.  And then we got caught behind a person driving a car with Nebraska plates who drove at 15 to 20 miles per hour below the speed limit - again, a two lane road, multiple hills and curves and double yellow lines.  Some vehicles behind us passed anyway - a line of six cars - and frequently we all had to break when a vehicle appeared nearby in the on-coming lane.  Finally, the Nebraska car turned off at Oak Creek, and we were once again able to proceed at the speed limit and space out.
   There was a vast open gulf to the left of us between State Bridge and Wolcott - I think it was the Edwards Draw - but the drop and span of the open area was amazing to me.  Photos of that area are what I really wish I had been able to take.  Beautiful vista and gorgeous colors...  Ah, well.   At Wolcott, we got onto I-70 and headed back east, passing by Avon, Vail, Breckenridge, Frisco, Silverthorne and Keystone, on to Idaho Springs, and, finally, Golden, where we turned north to return to Boulder.
    It was a long drive, and by the time we reached Idaho Springs my backside, butt, rear-end (whatever you want to call it), had gone to sleep, so I was very happy to get out of the car and fill it up with gas.  Got home to complaining kitties, who were very upset about having a late supper and absolutely no company all day.  But it was great to get away from the city and the rat race.  Other than the line of cars behind the Nebraska car on 131, and the traffic on I-70, and when we ate in Steamboat Springs, we saw few other people and very little traffic.  It was a great trip.
Horsetooth Mountain

Horsetooth Reservoir

Top of Rist Canyon, headed down to Stove Prairie

Indian Meadows, Cache la Poudre River

 Cameron Pass

Near Walden

Rabbit Ears Pass

Steamboat Springs

Finger Rock, Yampa

Vail Valley near Wolcott

No comments: