Saturday, April 13, 2019

Spring Round-Up, Part One

No surprises in yesterday's Spring Round-Up part one - The Saltwater Cowboys brought in all the ponies in the southern compartment, except for Slash of White, and she was seen near the Lighthouse after the cowboys had left.  The only foal, of the five born so far, that we did not know the sex of, was Moon and DLS II's foal.  Denise Bowden, of the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company, confirmed that it is a colt, having gotten up-close and personal with the foal after the ponies were brought in.
   And yesterday brought a nasty attack from my chief Facebook nemesis, who (as an Administrator had me kicked off and banned from six pony related pages for asking a simple question  - in Private Messaging, too) threatened to have me removed from any and all Chincoteague- and Assateague -related Facebook pages.  This was because I had posted about the un-proven pedigree of Winter Moon (or plain "Moon").  I told her that I am a genealogist and a historian and that if it was wasn't proven, I would always say "possible" or "believed to be" a Misty family relative.  She informed me that the CVFC has declared Moon a Misty relative and that is proof enough.  I'm letting the issue drop on Facebook, but until there is definite proof that she is the daughter of Walnut Hill's Nightwind, or any other Misty family pony, I will not baldly claim that she is a "Misty pony."  I did delete my comments from the two pages where I had posted them, just to shut down the ire of this woman.  She does not like me and hassles almost every post I make...
   The Buy Back ponies from last summer were trailered over to the southern corral yesterday, and spent the evening meeting the southern herd ponies through the fence lines.  A surprise was in store, as the ponies included two bays - one is the filly Doc's Bay Dream; the other is a colt, named Thunderbolt, who was a late-born foal, sired by Chief, and out of Bling Bling.  We were told by the CVFC that they would not keep the colt last year, but he's here and is branded, so, apparently, he is a keeper.
   The veterinarian checks began early this morning for the ponies in the south corrals, and will continue later today for those rounded-up in the north compound. The weather there is normal for this time of year, but not great for photographers.  It's currently 67° there, with light rain, and the forecast calls for a 70% chance of rain all day...

   Today is also the day of the last two Kentucky Derby Preparation races - the Arkansas Derby and the Lexington Stakes.  The Ben Ali Stakes is also being run at Oaklawn Park, and three past runners in the Kentucky Derby (two from 2018 and one from 2017) will be in contention for the purse.

Better photos of the Moon and Don Leonard Stud II colt:



No comments: