Monday, June 2, 2008

First Monday of June

Didn't sleep well last night/this morning... Guess I've slept a little too much for the pneumonia recovery to sleep well at night. The local raccoons came by the patio around 3 a.m. - they were not happy to find empty peanut hulls and no food; generally they clean up the peanuts the squirrels leave - but with explosion of squirrel babies, there wasn't anything left. The kits heard the 'coons chattering on their way down the row of patios, and both had to have a ring-side seat for the show.

It's going to be in the upper 80s today. I start summer days off with my insulated curtains closed, trying to keep some of the heat outside. Of course, the window is wide open; and right now my patio door is open about 12 inches for Lovey and Banichi to run in and out for their morning treat. The cats are only allowed out when I'm home and not in a hurry to go anywhere - and they stay pretty much right in the backyard and on the patios. Lovey does occaionally go to the tennis courts late at night to chase moths in the lights.

Boulder Creek and the Creek Path run at the southern edge of the apartment complex - and keep us richly supplied with wildlife, even though we're in "down town" Boulder. Besides the birds and squirrels, we are visited by chipmunks, mule deer, fox, cottontail rabbits and raccoons.
After living here for a little over two years, I think I can say that the kits and I don't adversely affect the wildlife - in 26 months their combined kill record is 7 birds and 5 mice/voles. They have brought me plenty of live game - which I promptly release on the other side of the building. The escapees include baby bunnies, birds, mice/voles and two small grass snakes - I think that they found a nest of baby mice because they brought me 12 young mice in one night, safely depositing each live catch inside the bathtub!

I'll soon be 52 . It doesn't seem possible. In grade school, my friend Carolyn and I both planned to get married and have "lots" of kids. That was still the plan in junior high. In high school, the plan turned into the two of us working and then retiring to a small house together, both old maids, and sit knitting on the porch while our cats lazed in the sunshine. We both married - neither of us have kids of our own (cats, yes) - I'm a widow. I live in Colorado with my cats. Carolyn and her husband build airplanes for Piper and live near Vero Beach with their cats. Carolyn and I are both still horse-crazy - and both of our husbands are/were very understanding about "our peculiarities" regarding critters.

Well, business is booming in Boulder. I work on a first-come, first-serve basis for my families. Right now, I have several folks wanting reccomendations for other sitters on dates that I'm already booked... I'll be checking with Snow family members to see if anyone is available. I know one person who wants to help - but she is allergic to dogs, and that knocks her out of more than 80% of my jobs as a fill-in.

Best wishes, stay cool, and enjoy your critters!!

No comments: