Sunday, June 8, 2008

Spike has Bushy Eyebrows; I surprise a Deputy

I have spent the past two nights with Spike in Niwot. Spike was 19 last summer when I began taking care of him during his family absences - so I guess he's 20 now. He's half Siamese and half tabby; with some stripes and very blue eyes. As he's grown older, he has become a diabetic, and needs to be fed and have his insulin shot at specific times. He's a terrific cat. We have spent most of our time together with him sprawled upon my chest - with his front paws and head propped up on my shoulder. He has marked me with his scent quite thoroughly - using his chin, jawbones, and lips. His favorite point of marking is my nose, followed by my glasses and my eyebrows.

Most young to middle-aged cats have sparse fur above their eyes - you can see the skin underneath the hair and realize that it is standing almost upright. Since Spike and I have been in close proximity, I can honestly say that the fur/hair above his eyes has grown very thickly and is almost bushy. It's kind of like the way old men grow very bushy eyebrows, even as the rest of their hair thins or disappears... Anyway, Spike is one big love. His family is returning this evening, and I'll be off to DeJa's house to spend the night with him. DeJa is an elderly apricot Cocker Spaniel who can no longer negotiate steps - and there are steps into and out of his house.

After giving Spike his breakfast and then his insulin this morning, I headed over to the local market to pick up a Sunday paper and grab a fresh bagel for myself. I crossed the grassy area, the road, and went into the small shoppping area; I was, as usual, in a T shirt, shorts and sneakers. As I passed one door, it suddenly opened, making me jump. It was the local Sherrif's office, and I scared the Deputy on his way out as much as he scared me. We laughed about it as we walked to the Niwot Market, and both of us picked up breakfast. I told him that Jeffrey, my husband, had always said I was part cat because I could see in the dark and walk extremely quietly. The Deputy said he had to agree with the quiet part.

OK - if you've checked the blog, you know my last 5 posts were regarding horse racing and Man o War. I'm finished with my horse racing kick - at least until next May - so I'll be back to posting about pets and wildlife and life in Boulder as a critter sitter.

No comments: