Monday, June 9, 2008

A windy Sunday with DeJa

DeJa is a dog who loves to be loved and who loves back with all his Cocker Spaniel heart. He is elderly, apricot-colored, almost blind, almost deaf, and a joy to love. I spent Sunday evening, night, and this morning with him. He gets medications twice a day, fed twice a day, and walked twice a day. I also take him outside and let him laze in the shade or sun (depending on the weather) and soak up some vitamin A and D. He is at a point in life where he sleeps a great deal, prefers treats to his regular food (who doesn't?), and cannot get up and down stairs on his own. But he is a snuggler, and he basks in attention. His family describe him as "high maintenence" - and, yes, I do carry him into and out of the house every two hours while I'm there and it isn't time to be in bed - but considering all the love and devotion he has given in his life, I just can't think of him as "high maintenance."

It was quite cool here last night - the low this morning was 39 degrees, so I closed up the house and contemplated putting DeJa's coat on him for the night. I couldn't find it, and he probably would have been a bit too warm with it on, so he escaped that degradation. Since heat rises, we slept up on the second floor. He was very frisky (for him) this morning and wanted a good long walk - then he seemed exhausted by mid-morning. I had to wake him to take him out at noon when I left to come home.

My kits were waiting for me at the door when I arrived - I'm pretty sure it's the sound of the key in the locks that actually brings them. I hugged them both, fed them and let them out for a brief run while I cleaned and re-filled the bird feeders. They were happy to come back inside after 30 minutes out and have a treat - then they curled up around me as I finished reading a mystery. I enjoy being able to help other people with their critters - but I definitely love to be home with mine!

No comments: