Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fire follow-up, again

Today dawned with crisp blue skies, even though it is now overcast and 28 degrees. The tiny birds are flocking to the feeders and the squirrels are stuffing sunflower seeds as fast as they can. Several pigeons, including Lovey's favorite, are scavenging in the yard. It's a very nice morning.

The wildfire north of here is 100% contained now. It burned over 3,000 acres and is now being called the Olde Stagecoach Road Fire. During the original broadcast coverage of the fire, I got confused by the names the broadcasters were using for certain roads - I've learned, since I've been here, that US 36 West is also 28th Street, or the Foothills Highway; when US 36 enters Boulder, it splits into 28th Street and the Foothills Parkway, which runs a little east of town, and joins in with 119, the Diagonal Highway, heading to Niwot and Longmont. The broadcasters kept saying the fire was alongside the Foothills Parkway, but they meant 36 West, the Foothills Highway. I'm glad I finally figured it out, but I really felt dumb for a while...

I delayed my blog to watch Big Red on the Hallmark Channel this morning - then had a huge bunch of downloads and up-dates to deal with, so I'm running later than usual. Currently I have Errol Flynn's Dodge City on for background noise - plus I like seeing all the old actors... I think I'll head over to the National Western Stock Show on the 23rd; they'll be having the Draft Horse and Mules shows, as well as all the booths and displays on all 4 levels of the Exhibition Center (including, of course, the Petting Zoo - I have to go there!). I've updated my calendar, but have found that I've lost one of my appointment cards, so I'll have to call Nancy and ask when I'm supposed to see her in February... My cast is off, but my thumb and wrist are still sore; it's a literal pain to write anything... But it is the weekend!!! Enjoy!

No comments: