Wednesday, February 18, 2009

House Sitting and Wildfires

I'm about to begin a stint of house-sitting, and am not sure when I'll be blogging again - I'll try to continue on a daily basis, but I don't have internet access where I'll be, and so will have to blog during the small amount of time I'm home visiting the kits... There is a possibility of snow flurries throughout today and tonight... we'll see if any actually falls or not. We did have several wind gusts of 68 mph here in Boulder during the day yesterday. The kits watched me pack my overnight bags before bed last night, and then stuck to me like glue while we were in bed; they know those bags mean I'm going to be scarce for a little while.

Just before I exited the Hop bus yesterday, I overheard two college students discussing the news coverage of the President's signing of the economic stimulus bill. These two young men could not understand why one of their girlfriend's was watching the coverage, even though she told him that she wanted "to witness history." Then the guys started asking each other why the President chose Colorado, why Denver in particular, why the Denver Museum of Nature and Science specifically, and what was so important about this stimulus package, anyway?? Ah... youth and blissful ignorance...

I am amazed at how the internet makes the world so much smaller: I have received several e-mails and offers of friendship from folks in Australia and people who care about animals after I posted my comments about the wildfires in Australia... It's kind of overwhelming for a recluse like me! And we had a wildfire break out in the Jefferson National Forest near Loveland yesterday, along Bobcat Ridge; the high winds fueled the fire like mad, and it is still out of control. Luckily it's not near any dwellings; unluckily, it's not near any dwellings. There is no road access to the area and the firefighters are having to go in on foot, carrying all possibly needed equipment in their hands and on their backs... My hat is tipped to them and to all firefighters today!

No comments: