Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sleeps with Dogs

I slept sandwiched between Rosie and Remy last night. Let me tell you that two large Irish Setters put out a lot of body heat - I ended up with covers only over my feet. I'm reading a history of the Restoration of Charles II currently, and the kids seem to like the names of the people - Buckingham and Lauderdale seem to keep their attention. I took them on 3 walks yesterday; one long and two short... Once over to and around Wonderland Lake, once around Centennial Middle School, and then around Crestview Elementary. For some reason, they ignored me while I was putting together the ingredients for double-chocolate brownies - but when it was time to remove the brownies from the oven, they were both right there. I had to put the brownies behind the locked door of the pantry to cool....

I saw a fox this morning when I took the Irish kids out for an early walk - they did not see it, huddling behind the tire of a truck, and I took care not to bring attention to it. There is a great horned owl in the neighborhood, and it was in the backyard early this morning... Luckily the dogs were sound asleep, so I got to enjoy a 15 minute serenade of hoots and whos. Got here, to my apartment, just before 8, and immediately petted the kits, fed them, cleaned their potty boxes, and then fed the birds and squirrels. Lovey keeps running back inside to make sure that I'm really here, and then runs out again to catch some sun. Banichi comes in, strops my legs, and then strolls out to his favorite sunny place again. My current big dilemma? Do I next read a history of the Border Reivers between Scotland and England? Or a book regarding the immigration of a family from England to what was then Rhodesia? Or a book on the early Celtic Christian/Catholic church?

It was 22 earlier this morning - now it's 35 degrees. There is once again a possibility of snow flurries tomorrow evening, but with the winds gusting tomorrow afternoon, I think the snow is unlikely. It's been snowing like mad on the western slope - but we are dry. The Bobcat Ridge wildfire is almost completely contained, and hopefully will be extinguished before the winds begin again tomorrow. The weather folks are saying we might reach 60 on Sunday - which is extremely odd for Colorado in February, especially at 6000 feet. And Fred, my ivy plant, put out a new stem that I've had to train back around again - he's going to look like a ball of leaves soon...

No comments: