Saturday, February 14, 2009

Snow and Critters

Happy Saint Valentine's Day! I send my heart to each person who reads this blog today. We received an inch and a half of snow overnight; it melted where it hit the sidewalks and pavement first, then froze again, and then more snow fell upon it... it is treacherous out this morning. I put on my Yak Trax before taking a step outside, so I had no problems, but I saw 6 cars sliding around during my walk today. It's 20 degrees out there, and we're expecting flurries all day, with a high of 30. I just wish we'd get about 10 inches of snow - that would definitely help our dryness. The squirrels are chasing each other all over the privacy fence and around the patio; there are about 30 small birds on the feeders and under them on the patio; and my kits are curled up on my legs. - And, Kathryn, thank you so much for the hat and scarf (again); I think they're keeping my ears, nose and lips from falling off my head while I'm out walking!

I watched another two episodes of Jockeys on Animal Planet last night. Again, if I had known nothing about thoroughbred racing and the lives their riders lead, I would have found it fascinating. Coast-to-Coast Dachshund Rescue just presented 10 doxies up for adoption here in the Denver area (on the local news channel) - and they are adorable. I do realize that as much as I see needy animals and as much as I want to bring them home, I can't. Lovey and Banichi are more than enough for my small apartment - so I may always "oooooo" and "aaawwww" over any type of critter, but I have finally come to know my limits (I hope!).

I'll be spending this up-coming week with the Irish kids; their family is headed out for a short vacation. Of course, I'll be home with the kits for several hours each day, and will let them have a run outside if they desire it. Yesterday, I took Rosie and Remy around the near-by elementary school, and then over to Kathy and Jim's yard. Jim let Suki and Boo out and we had a 5-way "Who's Got the Ball?" game. The ball in this instance is a soft latex ribbed ball in wild, tie-dye colors, it's about the size of a softball, and it has a truly obnoxious squeaker - it squeaks on both the squeeze and the release. But the dogs love it - and all of them got an excellent workout, as did I. I was sopping wet with sweat after a 30-minute run, chase and throw game with them... maybe I will lose some weight!

No comments: