Friday, February 13, 2009

A Trace of Snow; Mountain Lions

We had a trace amount of snow fall yesterday evening,but there's no sign of it this morning - even though it's 22 degrees outside. It's mostly cloudy, and there was just a small break in the clouds to let the rising sun peek through... The Flat Irons and taller spots of the Foothills are wreathed in dark grey clouds, and very tiny dry snowflakes are occasionally falling. The kits can't quite decide whether they want to be in or out, so there is constant traffic through the patio door, with Lovey frequently leaping onto my chest. I filled the bird feeders and put out peanuts for the squirrels as soon as I returned from my walk, and the critters are eating up. I'll be out with the Irish kids this morning, and will then, hopefully, settle down to do some research. I found a hot lead last night (on someone in Jeff's family), and I'm eager to follow it.

Now I know I'm getting old.... One of the shows that I watch because I like the leading man is Eleventh Hour: Rufus Sewell portrays Dr. Jacob Hood. His looks are - interesting, definitely not a classic face; he was born and raised in England, his father being an Australian animator; I have only seen him in his portrayal of Jacob Hood, and so have only heard him speak with an American accent. Why do I say I'm getting old? Because it turns out that he is 11 years younger than I am. **Heavy sigh** I would like to hear him speak using his normal accent, though!

The Supervisor for the School Board for the young lady who has already had 10 days of suspension for having (fake) practice drill rifles in the rear of her SUV heard her case last night. He has 5 days in which to decide whether her 10 days of suspension is enough punishment - or if she will receive a Mandatory Expulsion for the rest of the year. The Marines have already said that they will accept her with gladness and her full scholarship - but they noted yesterday that if sh is expelled, then she will be unable to get assignments involving top-level security matters. - I still think that stinks!

And, on a happy note, on Tuesday afternoon a homeowner spotted a baby mountain lion "stuck" in a tree. This person called the Division of Wildlife (DoW), and the kit was taken by DoW, vetted, and began being bottle-fed. On Wednesday, the mother was trapped, tranquilized, vetted, and fitted with a radio collar. She and her cub were reunited, DoW made certain that the kit was accepted by the mother, and then both of them were transported 75 miles away into the National Forest. I hope they can live their lives in peace, without any more human interaction!

No comments: