Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Winged" Cat; Mountain Lion Near


It wasn't a dry day at my house yesterday; as I stepped outside to walk the red kids in the afternoon, I was met with gusty winds, light rain, and huge thunderclouds. It had cleared by the time I reached Boulder Station, but my place had a good 30 minutes of light rain. I laughed when I got off the bus to walk Rosie and Remy yesterday morning; I leave the bus at the corner of 19th Street and Riverside Avenue, and ysesterday, there at the stop was a large sign warning of prowling mountain lions. (I'll try to remember to take my camera along today and take a photo of the poster.) The reason I laughed was because at that corner, on one side of Riverside is the Tara Performing Arts High School, and on the other side is the Waldorf Kindergarten School for ages 12 months to 6 years. I guess I'm terribly callous, 'cause all I could think of was sweet, tender meat for the cat. But I truly think the main draw for a mountain lion in that area are the new livestock babies at Waldorf - they have 3 new baby goats and 2 new lambs.


A cat a little over a year old is getting tons of attention in Chongqing, China - a seemingly normal kitten, at the age of one, the cat started growing wing-like appendages. The vets in China say that the growths do not harm the cat; and last year in May, there were documented reports of feral tomcats in Seichuan Province that had also developed "wings". It is being passed off as a genetic mutation, as the cat's owners won't let the cat be experimented upon. .... In thoroughbred racing, a stallion can be the father of anywhere from 1 to 300 foals a year; therefore, if a horse is described as a half-brother (or -sister) to another horse, they share the same mother, and not the father. Paul Saylor owned the half-brother of Mine That Bird prior to the Derby, and a share of the colt was sold for $485,000 to Dogwood Stables, run by Cot Campbell. Dogwood has named the colt Brother Bird, and he is in training with Todd Pletcher. .... Someone in South Dakota has won the PowerBall jackpot, so I guess I'll continue to plod along in my usual way **sigh**


It is beautiful out, but the weather people just said that we might get thunderstorms with pea-sized hail between 3 and 6 this afternoon. My kits are out sunning on the patio - and there is a lone squirrel sitting on the mat inside eating peanuts. I had really weird dreams last night and didn't sleep well. All I want to do this morning is crawl back into bed and pull the covers up over my head!

No comments: