Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Black Kids and Red Kids and Cats

Sorry for the late posting today - I've just been very busy and haven't had the time to sit down at the keyboard until now. Yesterday's walk with Sophie and Walt was uneventful, until the end. We wandered the neighborhood, with them off leash, and had a slow but good time. We were not slow due to Sophie's arthritis, we were slow because both kids were busy chasing rabbits and squirrels in almost every yard. And then we came to the creek - it's just before the turn for their house, and on warm days, they both like to wade in it. Sophie waded into the creek, while Walt stayed with me; Walt barked at a squirrel, I looked, and Sophie vanished. She didn't really vanish - she had walked into the culvert where the creek flows under the road, and was making her way downstream. Walt and I caught up with her and had to persuade her to come out of the water. Poor thing! She bounced around like a puppy all afternoon, but once it started to cool down outside, she stiffened up terribly. I didn't let her play in the water this morning.

I went into Boulder today and walked Rosie and Remy, after taking Walt and Sophie out. You would have thought I'd been gone for years by the way the Rs greeted me. We had a good 80 minute walk, and at the last, Rosie got to play in some sprinklers, so she was soaked and happy. Remy just kept leaning into my leg, as if he was trying to literally bond with me. Afterward, I went home and saw my kits. Lovey started crying the second my keys were in the lock, and she didn't stop until she had a fresh can of food opened in the plate and had gathered several minutes of petting and stroking. Banichi was in his chair when I arrived, and all he did was turn over onto his back for a belly-rub greeting. After both of them had eaten and run outside for a few minutes, they curled up with me in the reading chair and soaked up all the love I could give them. Then I listened to my messages and returned a call to a possible new client. I then returned to the black kids' house, where I currently have Walt trying to help me type. I will start a new book about Samuel Pepys this afternoon... I hope it's good, as it's the only one I have with me at the moment!

No comments: