Monday, September 7, 2009

Indi and Steve

Yesterday was the Rocky Mountain Showdown here in Boulder - the 81st meeting since 1893 of the CU Buffs and the CSU Rams. It was CU's first home game this season, and it was against arch-rival CSU from Fort Collins. Yesterday morning and afternoon the town was buzzing like a bee hive; when I went to bed last last and arose this morning, it seemed eerily silent. The Rams came to Boulder to make a statement, and they made it resoundingly: 17 -3 in the first half, 23 - 17 as a final score. I did have to laugh at the words of Boulder's police spokesman; that the department had to deal with the "usual lot of drunks and idiots". I watched the game in a nicely cool home, on a huge HD TV, with two Aussie kids. Steve and Indi were extremely well behaved - Indi had surgery recently and is supposed to stay calm and do no more than walk. Have you ever tried to explain that to a very busy, alert, and interested Australian Shepherd? She did try to run outside on me the first time we went out to potty, but I had her collar and lead on, so she was not successful. And the mournful looks she gave me, while her brother Steve ran around the yard like mad, were absolutely heart-breaking... but I obeyed the owners' and doctor's orders. The owners called shortly before their return last night, and I should have (but didn't think of) put Indi back on her lead, to be able to control her excitement a little better. I certainly hope that no harm was done with her greeting her family upon their return. I'm headed out to the Aussie kids' neighborhood again today, as I'll be taking care of the black kids, Sophie and Walt, this week. Yesterday evening was the longest time I've spent away from the kits in two weeks - and they both gave me the cold shoulder when I returned home last night. Even though I'll be visiting them this week, I'm sure their outrage will know no bounds for the first day I'm back after my stay with Walt and Sophie. At least I don't have to worry about them not eating - they always eat like piglets whether I'm home or not!

There was an upset yesterday in the Pacific Classic - a $1 million race at a mile and a quarter. A 24 to 1 longshot, named Richard's Kid, ran next to last for most of the trip - and then he began to roll. He beat Einstein, one of the two betting favorites, by a neck in a thrilling stretch drive under the guidance of Mike Smith. Things are being shaken up a bit in the standings for the Breeders Cup races in early November!

No comments: