Friday, September 4, 2009

Odds 'n' Ends

The NCAA football season began last night - I was watching ESPN at 5 p.m. for the kickoff between the South Carolina Gamecocks and North Carolina State. It wasn't a pretty game, nor a high scoring game - but it was a gutsy defensive game, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. As soon as the college game was over, I switched channels and watched the rest of the Broncos and Cardinals game. With Tom Brandstater starting as QB, we actually did rather well, winning 19 to 0. I do enjoy my football! - The kits have been all snuggly the past two nights, and last night, I heard Lovey hissing just inside the door, so I looked out and there was a raccoon about a foot away from Banichi, who was ignoring it. I hissed at the coon, and got the cats inside by giving them both a pinch of catnip. (I'm such a terrible Mom - I give my kits drugs so they can get high!) - Rosie and Remy and I had an excellent walk yesterday morning. I took a baggie full of natural treats with me, and we stopped and sat when we met other dogs; then the Rs got treats as the other dogs passed them. Buck actually asked nicely for a treat, and with his owner's permission, he shared treats with the Rs ( - oh, yes, very mean, vicious, aggressive dogs!!). We ran into 8 sets of dogs out walking, as well as visiting Suki and Boo on the return walk, so the kids got lots of treats. The only time Rosie barked was when a yearling deer broke cover and ran by within 4 feet of us. - Our air has cleared up quite a bit, but one occasionally still gets a good whiff of smoke; at the majority of the haze has cleared. I was delighted that I could actually see the snow on nearby peaks this morning. - And, finally, this Saturday, Rachel Alexandra (the 3-year-old filly who won the Preakness against the boys) will be facing older males in the Woodward Stakes. She will make history, if she wins. She faces 7 older handicap horses, all of whom are impressive winners, at Saratoga. And that's the end of another short blog! - TGIF!

No comments: