Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sophie and Walt

I spent all of yesterday morning with the kits - but they saw me put my alarm clock into my overnight bag early on, and realized I was not going to be home for a while. Banichi got even more snuggly and loving than usual, while Lovey sat on top of the cat tree and watched me with accusing eyes. Evan brought me to his parents' house, where I was licked immoderately by both Walt and Sophie. I plopped down in the kitchen floor and spent the next 30 minutes rubbing tummies and ears and hugging the black kids. They have had a diet change, so I got new instructions on what, how much and when to feed; and they have switched treats, too. After their folks left, I took Sophie and Walt on a slow afternoon stroll - it was almost 90, and Sophie wanted to go, but was limping quite a bit, so we took a short walk. After supper, I went out onto the porch and watched two young skunks come by on their usual evening browsing route; they are so cute! And, of course, squirrels and cottontails proliferate in this area. - I was told that there appears to be an outbreak of either distemper or rabies in the local raccoon population, so I shall be careful when I let the dogs off leash. Walt is currently stretched out at my feet, while Sophie is guarding the doorway. They are such good, loving dogs!

Yesterday, the 50th annual Skipjack race at Deal Island in the Chesapeake Bay took place... skipjacks are quickly disappearing from the bay, and most of the 11 boats that took part in the race yesterday are owned by educational foundations. Two bow sprits were damaged during the race, and the first two boats past the finish line were both owned and operated by educational groups. The boat that came in second yesterday won the inaugural race 50 years ago. Skipjacks are fast, light-weight sailing ships that were originally used in the Bay for oyster dredging. - And the Wildlife Center of Virginia released a young male bald eagle at the Westover Plantation (by the James River) yesterday. The immature bird was found on Assateague, in the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. It was on the ground, unable to fly, and its' parents had apparently abandoned it. It is hoped the youngster will find a mate and settle nearby in the 4,200 acre local wildlife refuge.

No comments: