Saturday, November 7, 2009

Breeders Cup and the Usual

It appears that I haven't lost my touch in picking winners. Three of my choices (in 6 races)won their Breeders Cup races yesterday, while a fourth lost by less than an inch; and that's 50% winners. I had understood that The Marathon race was to be 1.5 miles on the turf, and that it would be the last race on Friday's card. It was the first race, it was 1.75 miles, and was contested on the synthetic track, not the turf. I still was rooting for Cloudy's Knight, who was my pre-race day favorite... in the stretch, his jockey pulled him out into the center of the track, opening a big hole on the ground-saving rail; Man of Iron ran up the rail and was able to beat Cloudy's Knight on the nod. My other three picks, Life is Sweet (who won the Fillies and Mares Classic), She Be Wild (who won the Fillies Juvenile), and Tapitsfly (who won the Fillies Juvenile Turf) made me feel good. But I still feel that Lord Avie's son should have won the Marathon - and that's what makes horse racing horse racing.

It's already in the mid-40s today; nice sunshine and a few clouds. We (CU) have a home game against the Texas Aggies today, with kick-off at 11:30. It seemed as if most of the town was asleep when I took my five mile walk this morning, but while returning to the apartment, I found the Millennium Harvest House and my apartment complex already had their barricades up and manned. I have the patio door and window open, and, as usual, the kits are playing both inside and outside, and Gimpy and his buddies are stuffing themselves with nuts. Today I plan on watching the rest of the Breeders Cup races and watching the Gators play this evening - neither the Buffs nor the Gamecocks will be televised today. Other than that, I will continue to play with the family tree - I will post Mom's updated tree and Dad's updated tree sometime this weekend. And I have books to read and other things to research, so I will definitely stay busy (besides doing more laundry and cooking meals). - Have a super weekend!

No comments: