Thursday, November 19, 2009

Free Food for Homeless Animals

My cousin Sarah introduced me to a nice website - if you care for unfortunate animals, that is - the URL is simply: . There is a section for dogs and one for cats; there is a trivia question regarding each species with multiple choice answers offered. Whether you answer the questions correctly or not, you donate 10 pieces of dry dog food and/or 10 pieces of dry cat food (I do both) on a daily basis to animal shelters throughout the United States. I think that 60 seconds of my time is worth giving to help feed homeless animals. How about you? (And, thank you, Sarah, for sending me info on this site!) ... When I arrived at my apartment yesterday, I found a note on the door from UPS stating I needed to sign for a package (I'm expecting 3) and they would be at my place to try to redeliver said package between 2 and 5 in the afternoon. That threw all my plans off-kilter, but allowed me more time with my kits. The kits and I cuddled, and loved, and they ran outside and played in the sunlight. At 5:30, without a package delivery, I went back to Cloudy and Shady in North Boulder. Cloudy was inside, perched on her cat tree, but there was no sign of Shady. I turned on the light in the office, opened the door, and, as if it were magic, the black cat appeared from the black backyard, climbed the steps into the house, stropped himself around my legs, and then informed me that he was hungry. I acceded to his wishes, and Cloudy joined us in the kitchen for an evening repast. ... Rosie and Remy were so happy to me me yesterday that it was ridiculous. They danced and pranced and bounced around as if they hadn't gone for a walk in weeks. I took them west yesterday, and we visited Wonderland Lake, then scooted back for 10 minutes of play with Suki and Boo, and then on home. (It was after that that I went home to my kits.) ... The day started out with lots of sunshine this morning, but has become lightly overcast. There's a cool front passing through, and instead of temperatures in the upper 50s, we'll be lucky to hit the mid-40s. On my way home this morning, I was standing at the bus stop when a young man rode by on his bicycle; it was 26 degrees outside and I had on two pairs of socks, my heaviest jeans, a long-sleeved T-shirt, my woolen hat, gloves, and my snow and rain coat that has Polartec lining in both the body and the hood. This young man (maybe between 10 and 14 years old?) was pedaling his bike up-hill, wearing sneakers, shorts, what looked like a T, and a hooded sweatshirt with the cuffs pushed up to his elbows. He was steering his bike with his right hand and had a cup with a Starbuck's label on it in his left hand - no gloves. He made me feel extremely cold! ... I'm now booked for house-sitting through the end of April, and have already had to turn down one request for the month of March. I'll be with Cloudy and Shady once again, but Aiko and Yoshi need someone to spend the night with them and walk them twice a day, as well as play and interact with them when they are awake. ... One last comment for the day: it is once again time (almost past time) for the Leonid meteor shower. I remembered it the night before last, and, since I had awakened about midnight, and the sky wasn't cloudy, I pulled on my sweats, and a coat and stuffed my feet into my snow boots, and wandered out into the street to see what, if anything I could see. The meteorologists had said we might be able to see 20 to 30 "shooting stars" per hour, and that the best viewing was in Asia. I saw something that lit up the entire sky. It traveled east to west, started out as a green light, then turned orange and then it was almost as if I was under a klieg light - bright white - that almost immediately disappeared. I was astounded. The University of Utah caught this sight on video, so there is a distinct record of it - this meteor was seen from Kansas City, Missouri all the way to coastal California. The big-wigs are saying that it was probably a meteor the size of a range/oven when it entered our atmosphere, and that it burned up - disintegrated - whatever - by the time it reached the Pacific Ocean. All I know was that it was definitely awe-inspiring!

No comments: