Monday, November 9, 2009

Genealogy

I have really enjoyed this past week, with temperatures mostly in the 70s - but reality returns today and we'll have an average high of 52 (hopefully). A cold front wandered in last night, preceded by high winds, so it's back to normal temps for Boulder this week. First, I haven't commented on the tragedy at Fort Hood because a full report isn't available yet; I do feel empathy and sorrow for all the families who have been impacted by this horrible crime. But I am not going to get ahead of myself and make any sweeping statements or claims based on the actions of one very ill US soldier. I also feel for the families of the three American hikers who apparently stumbled into Iran and are now being charged with espionage... A sister of one of the hikers lives in Boulder and a candle-light vigil was held for their freedom last night. While adding some Gebo relatives to the family tree this weekend, I discovered that my files were missing about 300 people that were included in my on-line GED files. I spent twelve hours yesterday adding people, merging files, and just generally bent over my desk and keyboard. My shoulders know it this morning. I started the day with a long hot shower, rotating my neck and shoulders under the steaming water and added a naproxen tablet to my usual morning combo. I think that all I have to do is tweak a few items today, and then I'll be back (where I thought I was before) at a point that it's safe to add more family members. - And, yes, I will be certain there is a zipped back-up file available from now on!

The kits were ecstatic to be able to run in and out all day yesterday - and Gimpy twice came inside and let me know that his nut bowl was empty. Soon I'll move his bowl back inside and he'll have to knock to gain entry... I just added four more bookings for December, January, and February; two for cats, two for dogs. I am thinking that I will stay home from the Snow clan gathering for Thanksgiving this year (30 to 50 people), which is going to be in either Fort Collins or Longmont. I just don't want to end up in a corner watching everyone else interact this year - usually, I end up with an older in-law discussing family history, but it just doesn't feel right this year. - I am having a ball looking into my Scandinavian heritage, which I've pretty much ignored in the past. I am going to get myself a Dala Horse for Christmas, and I've seen a lot of interesting music CDs and several books that I now covet. I guess I'll be hitting the public library again for more Swedish and Danish information and music. It's getting close to the time I need to move out and go walk the red kids, so I'll wish each of you a good week!

No comments: