Friday, November 6, 2009

Names

We broke the record for high temperature yesterday - got all the way up to 77, and I had the patio door open up until 7 last night... The kits had a ball running in and out, and Gimpy twice demanded that I refill his nut supply. I walked the Rs yesterday - they were excited to see me, as usual; and we walked to the assisted living home and visited a few of our friends, then wandered the neighborhood, and played chase the bone and chase the lamb for about 30 minutes with Suki and Boo. When I returned the Rs to their house, I found all the gates open and a group of about 8 people working in the yards and gardens; so I took the dogs inside, and kept them in their harness while I checked to be certain that all the French doors were closed and locked, and that the doggie door in the den was also closed and locked. Then I removed their harnesses and gave them treats, and told them what wonderful friends and companions they are. Besides walking Remy and Rosie today, I plan on watching the Breeders Cup races and doing more family tree research.

I touched base with some of my best friends in Florida yesterday - spent 90 minutes on the phone with Jack, my adopted brother, and then 2 hours yakking at and with Kathryn. Afterwards, I felt totally at peace, which I haven't felt in a while. And I've been going through what I have of Mom's family tree on-line, and trying to fill in any blanks I find. I found that one of the relatives, a John B. Lynch, started up a new Holiness church sect on Chincoteague back in 1892. I had no idea that that was so. I must admit that I couldn't figure out why a lot of Chincoteague relations were buried in Perry, Georgia at the "Christ's Sanctified Holy Church Campground Memorial Gardens;" now I know why. Jack and I discussed odd names in our family trees, and said he felt sorry for a boy in a small town named Irwin Coody (you know he got teased mercilessly about having cooties) and I told him that I wished I knew how people pronounced some of the older names I've come across, like Mephibosheth. At least I know that the Chincoteaguers spoke, and some of the elders still speak, a form of Elizabethan English that has been preserved since our folks immigrated from England... and I can usually figure out unusual Chincoteague names, just because Mom grew up there and I've spent so much time there. But some of the Puritan and Down East names really throw me for a loop!

No comments: