Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reading, Reading

The sun is trying to shine through a heavy cloud cover, and in the backyard, Cloudy is hunting squirrels, while Shady is stalking birds. I started reading a 200+ page book by Lillian Stewart Carl last night, a stand alone novel titled Shadows in Scarlet - bad idea. I couldn't put the book down until I was finished with it around 2 this morning, which leaves me only with her novel Lucifer's Crown, until my books on order from Barnes and Noble arrive. It's wonderful and awful when you find an author and/or series that you can't put down or away! - Last night I watched the auction of the stock that the youngsters had raised for the Stock Show; some of the youngsters were smiling, but quite a few had tears in their eyes as their stock was handed over to the highest bidder. A thirteen-year-old girl had the Grand Champion Hog (named Bruno), and the winning bid on him was $65,000. A 14-year-old girl had the winning Grand Champion Simmental, a two-year-old steer, and she got $142,000 for him. I haven't yet heard if any of the auctioned stock will be saved, or if they're all headed for the butcher shop. My favorite was a 2-year-old hog named Tigger - he had personality plus, and strutted around the auction ring, posing for photos, and sniffing anyone close to the ring. I know that there is absolutely no way I could raise a critter for my own consumption - I like meat, but I don't want to know it.
I have somehow lost a red wool sock. I swear I put both of them in the washer last night; I swear I put everything from the washer into the dryer last night. I have checked both the washer and the dryer this morning, as well as the entire house, but that one red sock is AWOL. I guess there's a possibility that Cloudy or Shady stole it and carried it under the bed - that's the only place I haven't looked for it yet. I'm looking forward to going home and seeing my kits in a few minutes - Shady likes to be petted, but is not a cuddler; Cloudy wants to rub against you, but will attack any had placed near her in friendship. I need a visit with my kits to reaffirm our mutual regard for each other. (Even if I am only the food provider.)
Late last night, the weatherman said that we might have a few snow flurries here in the foothills today and tomorrow - but they are definitely predicting measurable snow fall on Wednesday - and Wednesday I'll be at Mary's with Yoshi and Aiko, the Shih Tzus... we'll see what happens. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: