Sunday, September 12, 2010

Second Thoughts?

I've always dreamed of having a big ranch out in the middle of nowhere, or having several acres in a canyon with a cabin just big enough for me and the kits. Logically, I have always recognized the possibility of wildfires out here in the west. Now that I have experienced a wildfire that is rather close to my concrete home on a creek (and pretty much surrounded by fire hydrants) in town, I am not so readily inclined to move out into the wilds. ... The Four Mile Canyon fire is now 83% contained; firefighters are still on the site 24 hours a day, and they still hope to have the fire totally contained by tomorrow afternoon. The new fire has been designated the Reservoir Road fire (having started in the 600 block on that road); it is completely uncontained, and has already destroyed several homes. More mandatory evacuations have been declared, with people heading into Loveland itself. The Longmont Humane Society is taking in evacuated pets, and the Boulder County Fairgrounds is taking in more evacuated livestock. The Reservoir Road fire immediately came under the control/direction of the federal agencies who are working the Boulder fire. I guess some of the fire fighters who thought they might be able to return home tomorrow will be staying longer.

My kits, Ooch, and Sasquatch and Tugger are all doing well. Me? I'm still tired, and will be until at least the 27th when I can sleep at home again. I start staying at Alexy's tomorrow, and Kathy and Jim are heading for Bryce and the Grand Canyons on Wednesday. All of us are getting together for an early birthday supper for Jim tomorrow at Salt, as it's the only evening that all the kids can also attend. So I've got to find the rest of his birthday present, and address his card, and take it with me when I head out tomorrow... Tomorrow's schedule: Feed Ooch, feed and medicate Sasquatch and Tugger, walk the Rs, check on Cloudy and Shady; come home, love my kits and gather my stuff. Head back to Cloudy and Shady's house, get them inside and give them dinner; visit Sasquatch and Tugger, feed and medicate them at 5:30, feed Ooch, then appear at Jim's house to travel with him to pick up Kathy and go to Salt. Check on Ooch after supper, and return to Shady and Cloudy. ... Don't know if I'll have time to blog tomorrow or not.... Have a good week! - PS: At least the Redskins won out of my four favorite pro teams!

No comments: