Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drop On Momma

My kits have a really wicked sense of humor, fun, whatever you want to call it. (Of course, they are mine, so I guess it's to be expected...) I rounded them up Monday night after 10, when it was time for me to go to bed. I did not see, nor had I realized, that one of the kits brought a very fat field mouse inside with them. All I know is that four times Monday night and Tuesday morning, and three times Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, Lovey jumped onto my chest, and when I roused enough to stroke her fur, she dropped said mouse on my face and/or neck. I awoke very quickly the first time; turned the lights on and tried to capture the mouse in a jar to place it back outside. I tried three times the first night and twice the second night. When either cat had the mouse in it's mouth, the mouse went totally limp. But as soon as the cat let it go, it would run like mad - usually across my pillow, onto my bedside table, then hop onto the floor. It seemed to take its rests while under the refrigerator. Apparently neither Neddy nor Lovey harmed it, as I caught it Wednesday afternoon, while the kits were out in the back yard. It was very fit, very aware, and still very fast. I was able to corner it, place it in the jar, and take it out into the front yard, where (hopefully) the kits won't catch it again. - And two days ago, Neddy had his six month birthday; he's quite a little man!
Tomorrow, I'll walk and then sit with Rosie and Remy. Tuesday I'll be going to Brighton, to care for four dogs and five cats. Luckily, the family there leaves a car for me to travel back and forth, so I'll continue to see my kits daily, as well as walking the Rs and Lucy, on her three days. I'll return home late Saturday, or, most probably, Sunday morning. Then five more days of the Rs and Lucy, and I get my vacation. Yippee!!
In Europe today, Workforce, who won the Epsom Derby, returned to his winning ways for trainer Micahel Stoute by taking the Prix de l'Arc Triomphe. Goldikova, the mare who won last years Breeders Cup Mile on the Turf, won the Prix de la Foret, and will return to the US to defend her title at Churchill Downs in November. It certainly looks as if there will be a lot of top-notch thoroughbreds from around the world at the Breeders Cup this year!

No comments: